Re: [lmap] Feedback on draft-eardley-lmap-terminology

<philip.eardley@bt.com> Wed, 24 July 2013 11:46 UTC

From: philip.eardley@bt.com
To: bclaise@cisco.com
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 12:46:02 +0100
acceptlanguage: en-US, en-GB
Cc: lmap@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [lmap] Feedback on draft-eardley-lmap-terminology

Ok, this should be mentioned in the Use case doc as well as in the framework.

incidentally, although the measurement functionality would be in lots of MAs I wouldn't expect them all to run all the tests at the same time - for the regular tests, I think you'd use a subset as a panel, and over the course of a few weeks say the panel would rotate round the different end hosts

I agree that the measurement functionality has the potential to be abused as a DDOS attack and we need mechanisms to alleviate it.
Perhaps too early for specific proposals, but I'd suggest a combination of:

-       Security on the Control Protocol (to stop rogue controller asking MAs to launch a DDoS)

-       Some individual tests to include an initial phase where they check that the Measurement Peer has capacity (especially for tests that create a significant load on the Measurement Peer)

-       Ability for Controller to send a "suppress" msg - so lots of MAs can be told to stop sending test pkts, if there's some problem

-       Perhaps some guidance on best practice (don't kill bt.com - try cisco.com instead!!)

Thanks
phil