Re: [Ltru] Proposed resolution for Issue 13 (language tags)

Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> Wed, 16 April 2008 16:52 UTC

Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 15:11:14 +0200
From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
To: "Phillips, Addison" <addison@amazon.com>
Cc: LTRU Working Group <ltru@ietf.org>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Subject: Re: [Ltru] Proposed resolution for Issue 13 (language tags)
Sender: ltru-bounces@ietf.org

Phillips, Addison wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a number of thoughts on the proposed changes, which appear below my signature.
>
> I would suggest that HTTPbis wait in order to reference 4646bis, which is in WG last call, if at all possible. I mention this for two reasons:
>
> 1. It would be better to reference the update than the soon-to-be-obsolete version, even though the differences are minor.
>
> 2. The new version includes an ABNF production of value to HTTPbis (obs-language).

Now that would be a good reason.

Are you saying that HTTP should use that production (obs-language,
<http://www.tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ltru-4646bis-12#section-2.2.9>),
instead of Language-Tag
(<http://www.tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ltru-4646bis-12#section-2.1>)?

I'm no expert on that matter... do we have consensus on this among those
who are?

>> Martin Dürst wrote comments on Julian's email which said in part:
>>> (see also <http://www3.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/13>).
>>>

>> The above text gives the impression that there is a separate
>> concept of a "HTTP language tag". Why not just say something
>> like "HTTP uses language tags as defined in ...".
>
> I agree with Martin here. However, it may be useful to reference the RFC 3066 Language-Tag production in Section 2.2.9, for compatibility with existing RFC 2616 implementations, and to specify "well-formed" conformance.

In which case it may be simpler to just align the definition in HTTPbis
with that production (instead of referring directly to RFC3066).

> So I strongly suggest you reference BCP 47
>> rather than a specific RFC.
>
> +1

I don't see how, as long as we want to include a specific ABNF production.

>>> Section 3.5., paragraph 3:
>>> OLD:
>>>
>>>      language-tag  = primary-tag *( "-" subtag )
>>>      primary-tag   = 1*8ALPHA
>>>      subtag        = 1*8ALPHA
>>>
>>> NEW:
>>>
>>>      language-tag  = <Language-Tag, defined in [RFC4646], Section
>> 2.1>
>>
>> See above.
>
> It may be better to reference Language-Tag as defined in 2.2.9 for compatibility. While it would be good to adopt the modern language tag ABNF, that would suggest that receivers reject tags that were well-formed but no longer are.

For the record: that's in RFC4646bis, but not in RFC4646, right?

BR, Julian