Re: [Ltru] Re: Review of 4646bis-10, macrolanguages in section 4.1

"Mark Davis" <mark.davis@icu-project.org> Fri, 21 December 2007 22:46 UTC

DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references:x-google-sender-auth; bh=vYUk28yoFV1BsFyP4dG7GnbEUCu4L8Vomgi44sXMqGI=; b=j2WFEyLQ1zi36uvsx+q0AEerE3idqizmDFS7dKmz2dLLGCe0F/m5IODzg+VW6Knm7yp3UTC7xEvEH9Bg1yMs2gmKDLPa0m6d2sw6Z2XUxVOmVonU/5BrqJ+RPp52eEdUYmWCgaj4MDVQycz4MeXvrh6AP2gRsdB+MP1GHe0K6q4=
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 14:46:20 -0800
From: Mark Davis <mark.davis@icu-project.org>
To: Addison Phillips <addison@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject: Re: [Ltru] Re: Review of 4646bis-10, macrolanguages in section 4.1
Cc: ltru@ietf.org

LGTM.

==========

BTW, In John's signature there was:

There are three kinds of people in the world:
those who can count, <cowan@ccil.org>
and those who can't.

My other favorites are:

   - There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary and those
   who don't.
   - There are 2 kinds of people: those who divide the world into 2 kinds
   of people, and those who don't.

Mark

On Dec 21, 2007 1:54 PM, Addison Phillips <addison@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

> John Cowan wrote:
> > Here's some more wording changes for 4.1, embedded in the change I
> > suggested before.
> >

> > Remove one instance of "In some cases,", obviously.  My bad.
>
> Already done in the editor's copy.
>

> > Add:
> >
> >         Macrolanguages and encompassed languages affected by this issue
> >         include:
>
> I made it say "The pairs of macro and encompassed languages affected by
> this issue when this document was published were:"
>
> Saying it this way inoculates us against future Macrolanguage
> assignments, even though none may be forthcoming that fall into this
> category.
>

> >         Arabic 'ar'                     Standard Arabic 'arb'
> >         Konkani (macrolanguage) 'kok'   Konkani (individual language)
> 'knn'
> >         Malay (macrolanguage) 'ms'      Malay (individual language)
> 'mly'
> >         Swahili (macrolanguage) 'sw'    Swahili (individual language)
> 'swh'
> >         Uzbek 'uz'                      Northern Uzbek 'uzn'
> >         Chinese 'zh'                    Mandarin Chinese 'cmn'
> >

> Added this table.
>
> thanks,
>
> Addison
>
> --
> Addison Phillips
> Globalization Architect -- Yahoo! Inc.
> Chair -- W3C Internationalization Core WG
>
> Internationalization is an architecture.
> It is not a feature.

Mark