Re: [manet] #22 (aodvv2): Multiple terms for same concept

"manet issue tracker" <trac+manet@trac.tools.ietf.org> Tue, 23 December 2014 22:28 UTC

From: manet issue tracker <trac+manet@trac.tools.ietf.org>
To: charliep@computer.org
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 22:27:59 -0000
Cc: manet@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [manet] #22 (aodvv2): Multiple terms for same concept

#22: Multiple terms for same concept

Changes (by charliep@computer.org):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => fixed

Comment:

 On 4/4/2014 1:32 PM, Abdussalam Baryun wrote:
 > IMHO, MANET has more concepts depending on the network use and status.
 Therefore it is good that this work considers many use cases.

 > On Thursday, April 3, 2014, manet issue tracker wrote:
 >
 >     #22: Multiple terms for same concept
 >
 >      (Thomas Clausen) While we are on that, I notice that "active
 source" is
 >      used; I am not sure what that is vs a "source" and vs a !PktSource.
 >
 > It is clear in MANET that active node means there is sleep period within
 that node, so when the node is out of that period it is active.

 >      source is someone who generates data traffic, I would suspect ...
 so an
 >      active source is....what?  Or, is a source someone who can, but
 doesn't,
 >      generate data traffic?
 >
 > The source is a node that generates data. The active node is a node that
 generates data for some determined period of times, and does not
 receive/generate within sleeping periods.

 >      if so, what is the significance of that wrt.
 >      routing protocol operation? And, wrt a /reactive/ routing protocol,
 which
 >      I would assume constructs routes only for active source-destination
 pairs?

 > I don't think that is correct. In MANET we say it MAY have LLN nodes so
 it is good AODVv2 considers LLNs scenarios. The ROLL WG have done a
 terminology RFC, I will try to continue the Manet terminology draft. The
 routing in LLNs and MANETs does construct routes not only for active
 source-destination pairs, but routes that have multihops with sleep
 periods as well.

 On 4/5/2014 5:46 AM, Thomas Clausen wrote:
 > On 04 Apr 2014, at 22:32, Abdussalam Baryun <abdussalambaryun@gmail.com>
 wrote:
 >> IMHO, MANET has more concepts depending on the network use and status.
 Therefore it is good that this work considers many use cases.

 >> On Thursday, April 3, 2014, manet issue tracker wrote:
 >>
 >>     #22: Multiple terms for same concept
 >>
 >>      (Thomas Clausen) While we are on that, I notice that "active
 source" is
 >>      used; I am not sure what that is vs a "source" and vs a
 !PktSource.

 >> It is clear in MANET that active node means there is sleep period
 within that node, so when the node is out of that period it is active.
 > That is not clear to me. Where is that described in more details? How
 does it work in a reactive protocol, what if a router is "sleeping" when
 it receives a RREQ? Does it require global coordination of duty cycles in
 the network? If not, why not?

--
 Reporter:  charliep@computer.org  |       Owner:  charliep@computer.org

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/manet/trac/ticket/22#comment:2>