Re: [manet] #22 (aodvv2): Multiple terms for same concept

Thomas Clausen <ietf@thomasclausen.org> Sat, 05 April 2014 12:46 UTC

From: Thomas Clausen <ietf@thomasclausen.org>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2014 14:46:10 +0200
To: Abdussalam Baryun <abdussalambaryun@gmail.com>
Cc: "draft-ietf-manet-aodvv2@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-manet-aodvv2@tools.ietf.org>, "manet@ietf.org" <manet@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [manet] #22 (aodvv2): Multiple terms for same concept

On 04 Apr 2014, at 22:32, Abdussalam Baryun <abdussalambaryun@gmail.com> wrote:

> IMHO, MANET has more concepts depending on the network use and status. Therefore it is good that this work considers many use cases.
>
> On Thursday, April 3, 2014, manet issue tracker wrote:
> #22: Multiple terms for same concept
>
>  (Thomas Clausen) While we are on that, I notice that "active source" is
>  used; I am not sure what that is vs a "source" and vs a !PktSource.
>
> It is clear in MANET that active node means there is sleep period within that node, so when the node is out of that period it is active.

That is not clear to me. Where is that described in more details? How does it work in a reactive protocol, what if a router is "sleeping" when it receives a RREQ? Does it require global coordination of duty cycles in the network? If not, why not?

>  source is someone who generates data traffic, I would suspect ... so an
>  active source is....what?  Or, is a source someone who can, but doesn't,
>  generate data traffic?
>
> The source is a node that generates data. The active node is a node that generates data for some determined period of times, and does not receive/generate within sleeping periods.
>
>  if so, what is the significance of that wrt.
>  routing protocol operation? And, wrt a /reactive/ routing protocol, which
>  I would assume constructs routes only for active source-destination pairs?
>
> I don't think that is correct.

You do not think that it is correct, that a reactive protocol constructs routes only for active source-destination pairs?

> In MANET we say it MAY have LLN nodes so it is good AODVv2 considers LLNs scenarios. The ROLL WG have done a terminology RFC, I will try to continue the Manet terminology draft. The routing in LLNs and MANETs does construct routes not only for active source-destination pairs, but routes that have multihops with sleep periods as well.

I am at a loss, what does that mean?