RE: [manet] New Version Notification for draft-ietf-manet-timetlv-03

"Dearlove, Christopher (UK)" <Chris.Dearlove@baesystems.com> Tue, 20 November 2007 09:53 UTC

Subject: RE: [manet] New Version Notification for draft-ietf-manet-timetlv-03
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 09:53:14 -0000
From: "Dearlove, Christopher (UK)" <Chris.Dearlove@baesystems.com>
To: Ian Chakeres <ian.chakeres@gmail.com>, manet@ietf.org
Cc: T.Clausen@computer.org

I'm in agreement that this is neither intended nor
desirable. Actually I don't think it's ever desirable,
but especially not in timetlv.

Why never desirable? First it isn't usually necessary.
If C = 1 ms you can have times up to 1.5 months at
millisecond resolution. If C = 1 second you can have
times up to over a century, at second resolution.
(Other figures are of course possible.)

Second the point of timetlv is passing an unambiguous
time, often in circumstances where communications has
not yet been established. If you had to negotiate C for
routing (which is after all why we are here) you'd have
to do that before any other form of topology formation
etc. that used C. This would be really bad. So for our
main use cases, negotiating C really doesn't work.

Yes, I can conceive of a protocol that want to negotiate
C (that doesn't however mean I think it's likely - I
think it's very unlikely given my first point). If so
that protocol can define such a process. It's way outside
what timetlv should include, especially given that it's
an obscure case. (And as we have no prior art, defining a
good mechanism would be tricky.)

Realised there's one more point. If you want to define C
in the same message as one of the timetlv TLVs, that
suggests you may not be using the right format in the
first place.