Re: [manet] New Version Notification for draft-ietf-manet-timetlv-03

"Ian Chakeres" <ian.chakeres@gmail.com> Tue, 20 November 2007 10:58 UTC

DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=1UttslCM4F1PCrxrPSLUYzQv8cTf87iEVxxpuOaw0fA=; b=jyYfOGBV2Qw6wlSPjtNDfL0QYUeJi0Fmgqy2ql+PpPzWyIgkt1tnuf20v/n6tlbkENrJpnE9f+1j4F27pcqlixwpkureo0hTiyF8rXtHOnYue1cw41gnGMNdXx+5Zu5YScaJZsZCnehckXlCxJM6iwzgtqkp7w+Z3ZMUtVCqrE8=
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 16:28:05 +0530
From: Ian Chakeres <ian.chakeres@gmail.com>
To: "Dearlove, Christopher (UK)" <Chris.Dearlove@baesystems.com>
Subject: Re: [manet] New Version Notification for draft-ietf-manet-timetlv-03
Cc: manet@ietf.org, T.Clausen@computer.org

Comments inline.

On Nov 20, 2007 3:23 PM, Dearlove, Christopher (UK)
<Chris.Dearlove@baesystems.com> wrote:

> I'm in agreement that this is neither intended nor
> desirable. Actually I don't think it's ever desirable,
> but especially not in timetlv.

I am not concerned about the timetlv format. I am concerned about the
two TLVs specified/allocated in the TimeTLV document. That is VALIDITY
and INTERVAL.

> Why never desirable? First it isn't usually necessary.
> If C = 1 ms you can have times up to 1.5 months at
> millisecond resolution. If C = 1 second you can have
> times up to over a century, at second resolution.
> (Other figures are of course possible.)
>
> Second the point of timetlv is passing an unambiguous
> time, often in circumstances where communications has
> not yet been established. If you had to negotiate C for
> routing (which is after all why we are here) you'd have
> to do that before any other form of topology formation
> etc. that used C. This would be really bad. So for our
> main use cases, negotiating C really doesn't work.

This fact seems to motivate that C been defined/specified somewhere
for any timetlv instance. Otherwise, misunderstandings could cause
major problems.

I believe this may be one of the reasons that OSPF carries timing
information in its messages.

Ian