Re: [mile] Late WG LC comment on SCI draft

"Takeshi Takahashi" <takeshi_takahashi@nict.go.jp> Mon, 29 July 2013 17:58 UTC

From: Takeshi Takahashi <takeshi_takahashi@nict.go.jp>
To: "'Black, David'" <david.black@emc.com>, mile@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 02:56:47 +0900
Subject: Re: [mile] Late WG LC comment on SCI draft

Hi David,

Thank you for your kind comment.
I also think the work of the reference format draft is important, and it
could be incorporated in the RFC5070-bis.

Regarding the connection to the SCI draft, I guess you are meaning that the
"SpecID" and "AttackPatternID(or similar IDs such as VulnerabilityID)"
attributes should be combined into one attribute and be represented
following the reference format draft.
I am a bit reluctant to do so.
In case of the SCI draft, it also has "ext-SpecID" field.
Though we could combine "ext-SpecID" and "AttackPatternID" as well, I am not
sure the need for that. It could just increase the complexity in case of the
SCI draft.
(We will end up with mixing "SpecID:AttackPatternID" and
"ext-SpecID:AttackPatternID" in a same field, and SpecID values are chosen
from the list in the IANA table while ext-SpecID values are not.)
Moreover, since we anyway use XML, I am not sure why we need to combine two
fields into one by using colon (in case of the SCI draft): we could simply
have two separated attributes within the SCI draft.

On the other hand, the SCI draft and the Reference Format draft can cope
with each other nicely once the RFC5070-bis incorporates the Reference
Format draft, since the SCI draft uses Reference classes (that should be the
new Reference class incorporating the Reference Format draft by the time the
RFC5070-bis is published).

Anyway, thank you for your kind clarification question.

Kind regards,
Take