[Mip4] RE: Comments on VPN Problem Statement Draft

"Jayshree Bharatia" <jayshree@nortelnetworks.com> Wed, 06 August 2003 19:14 UTC

From: Jayshree Bharatia <jayshree@nortelnetworks.com>
To: "'Adrangi, Farid'" <farid.adrangi@intel.com>
Cc: mip4@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 14:12:36 -0500
Subject: [Mip4] RE: Comments on VPN Problem Statement Draft
Sender: mip4-admin@ietf.org

Hello Farid,

Please see my reply below.

Thanks,
Jayshree
-----Original Message-----
From: Adrangi, Farid [mailto:farid.adrangi@intel.com]
Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2003 11:50 PM
To: Bharatia, Jayshree [RICH1:2H13:EXCH]
Cc: mip4@ietf.org
Subject: RE: Comments on VPN Problem Statement Draft

Hello Jayshree,
Thanks for following up on this.  You, Gopal, and I had a very brief
conversation on this during IETF-57 - but I am not sure if we derived any
conclusion on whether or not we should include this scenario.  To be frank,
I don't quite understand the point behind adding this scenario because,
-          It seems to present a solution to a specific deployment model
rather than a deployment scenario
[JB] My understanding is different from yours so please elaborate what you
mean by deployment model vs deployment scenario in this particular context.

-          I don't quite see the advantages of  a combined VPN+FA if it does
not support FA traversal and it does not avoid IPsec renegotiation when MN
moves from one subnet to another - perhaps you can elaborate on this?
[JB] I think regardless this scenario has any advantages or not, it is one
of the probable scenario which has potential issues (as you have indicated
earlier).

-          Furthermore, Scenarios in section 2 of the problem statement
draft represents combinations of MIPv4 HA and VPN gateway placement - adding
this scenario is going to change semantics of the section 2.
[JB] I am not sure what you mean by semantics change here. Do you think
documenting this in new subsection (2.6) is a problem?

I have no problem adding this scenario to the draft - I just wanted to make
sure that we clearly understand the reasons for adding this scenario to the
problem statement draft.  Design team members and interested individuals are
welcome to express their opinion on this.

Best regards,
Farid

 The   following   sub-sections   introduce   five   representative
   combinations of MIPv4 HA and VPN gateway placement.