Re: pmipv4 of WiMAX forum (Re: [Mip4]Questionaboutdraft-leung-mip4-proxy-mode)

Jun AWANO <j-awano@az.jp.nec.com> Sat, 28 July 2007 05:26 UTC

Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 00:26:25 -0500
From: Jun AWANO <j-awano@az.jp.nec.com>
To: "Yoshi Tsuda (yotsuda)" <yotsuda@cisco.com>, mip4 <mip4@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: pmipv4 of WiMAX forum (Re: [Mip4]Questionaboutdraft-leung-mip4-proxy-mode)
Cc: "Kent Leung (kleung)" <kleung@cisco.com>

Hi Tsuda-san and Kent,

I forgot to say about supporting IPv6/DS host.
Of cource, draft-leung-mip4-proxy-mode could include
the feature to support IPv6/DS host although WiMAX spec PMIPv4
doesn't have such a feature (at least so far).

But I think there are issues about this.
The first issue:
The draft refers to draft-navali-ip6-over-netmip4-00
(I found out -02 ver.) to achieve support for dual stack feature.
You know, mip4 WG already have dsmipv4 draft.
It's draft-ietf-mip4-dsmipv4.

Although some modifications might be needed to adapt
draft-ietf-mip4-dsmipv4 to proxy mode. (e.g. RRQ MUST include
IPv6 Tunneling Mode Ext.)
Extensions defined at draft-ietf-mip4-dsmipv4 can be reused.
The draft defines IPv4 Prefix Ext and IPv6 Code Ext to request,
bind and get IPv6 HoA.
OTOH, draft-navali-ip6-over-netmip4 defines IPv6 Home Address
Request Ext and IPv6 Home Address Extension for the same aims.

IMO, I don't want to have different extension to achieve the
  same effect.
I want to reuse extensions and procedures described in
draft-navali-ip6-over-netmip4 as much as possible.

The second issue:
I think there might be an argument about necessity of PMIPv4 DS
support.
Because PMIPv6 draft + IPv4 support draft can cover almost the
  same scenario as PMIPv4 DS can.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Jun