Re: [Mip4] Question about draft-leung-mip4-proxy-mode

Bruno Mongazon-Cazavet <bruno.mongazon-cazavet@alcatel-lucent.fr> Mon, 30 July 2007 08:40 UTC

Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 10:40:14 +0200
From: Bruno Mongazon-Cazavet <bruno.mongazon-cazavet@alcatel-lucent.fr>
To: "Kent Leung (kleung)" <kleung@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [Mip4] Question about draft-leung-mip4-proxy-mode

Kent Leung (kleung) wrote:
> The router which implements the MIP4 proxy mode may not be enabled with
> FA service.   In such case, collocated Care-of Address may be used for
> Mobile IP registration/tunneling.
>
> I think your question is based on the need for the mobile terminal to
> learn if the network supports PMIP and/or MIP.  Is this in the context
> of WiMAX or just generic MIP?

Generic MIP.
> For generic MIP, a MIP-enabled terminal also supports simple IP.  If the
> terminal is using the MIP Home Address, then it must register with its
> HA via FA CoA or CCoA to maintain its communications.  If a CCoA address
> is available, the terminal may use that IP address as well.  Not clear
> if the terminal needs to know if this IP address is provided mobility by
> the network?  For PMIP, this is suppose to be transparent to the mobile
> terminal.  Of course, the terminal can detect if the CCoA is still
> usable after handover via DHCP, ARP, and/or ICMP mechanisms without
> having to know what the network is doing.

Of course such mechanisms can be used.
I am just wondering if a simple and common mechanism can be used to do so.
Would be more simple and direct to send a RS and get back the answer in
a RA.
This does not impact existing simple IP terminals that would not send
RS, but only MIP capable.
Just to ease the job, not contradicting MIP philosophy i guess.