Re: pmipv4 of WiMAX forum (Re: [Mip4]Questionaboutdraft-leung-mip4-proxy-mode)

Jun AWANO <j-awano@az.jp.nec.com> Fri, 27 July 2007 23:13 UTC

Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 18:13:28 -0500
From: Jun AWANO <j-awano@az.jp.nec.com>
To: "Yoshi Tsuda (yotsuda)" <yotsuda@cisco.com>, mip4 <mip4@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: pmipv4 of WiMAX forum (Re: [Mip4]Questionaboutdraft-leung-mip4-proxy-mode)
Cc: "Kent Leung (kleung)" <kleung@cisco.com>

Hi Tsuda-san,

O.K. Tsuda-san.
I think I couldn't pick up all of differences.
But I try to enumerate them.

The differences are as following.

1. Terminologies
  draft-leung-mip4-proxy-mode says
  LMA,MAG,PRRQ,PRRP.
  But WiMAX spec doesn't use such terminologies.
  Just, HA, FA & PMIP Client, RRQ, RRP,respectively.

2. New extensions
  draft-leung-mip4-proxy-mode defines new MIPv4 extensions,
  Proxy Mobile IPv4 Mode Extension and PMIPv4 Per-Node
  Authentication Method Extension. And enfocing to use them.
  But WiMAX spec doesn't support them.

3. New error codes
  draft-leung-mip4-proxy-mode defines new error codes,
  PMIP_UNSUPPORTED and PMIP_DISALLOWED.
  But WiMAX spec doesn't use them.

4. How to use Registration Revocation
  When a MN moves to a new MAG.
  Registration Revocation message is sent to the
  previous MAG according to draft-leung-mip4-proxy-mode.
  I'm not sure it's different or not.
  But at least WiMAX spec doesn't say explicitly that
  a LMA(HA) uses Registration Revocation in this case.

5. Processing Proxy Registration Request
  Whole sentence described at "8.1.  Processing Proxy
  Registration Requests" is different from WiMAX spec.
  A HA specified in WiMAX performs as per RFC3344.
  So the HA doesn't perform like described at "8.1.".
  i.e. The HA doen't use Sequence Number and doesn't
  send error RRP like described at "8.1.".

6. Moving to a New MAG
  I think draft-leung-mip4-proxy-mode assumes that
  the MAG which sends RRQ on behalf of a MN is relocated
  when the MN has moved to a new MAG.
  But In WiMAX spec, PMIP client which sends RRQ on behalf
  of a MN is anchored even when the MN has moved to a new FA.
  Are you following the proceeding of netlmm WG?
  And do you know Ajoy's PMIPv6 draft?
  http://tools.ietf.org/wg/netlmm/draft-singh-netlmm-protocol-03.txt
  The MAG described in the draft is anchored while moving.
  The PMIP client specified in WiMAX is similar to it.
  So, WiMAX PMIP client isn't required to transfer any MN's
  contexts(e.g. MN-HA key) when the MN has moved.

Best Regard,
Jun