Re: [Mip6] Consensus call on making ID draft-wakikawa-nemo-v4tunnel a MIP6/NEMO WGs document

Sri Gundavelli <sgundave@cisco.com> Thu, 31 March 2005 23:14 UTC

Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 15:08:18 -0800
From: Sri Gundavelli <sgundave@cisco.com>
To: Vijay Devarapalli <vijayd@iprg.nokia.com>
Subject: Re: [Mip6] Consensus call on making ID draft-wakikawa-nemo-v4tunnel a MIP6/NEMO WGs document
Cc: nemo@ietf.org, mip6@ietf.org, Henrik Levkowetz <henrik@levkowetz.com>, Basavaraj.Patil@nokia.com
Sender: mip6-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Vijay/Vidya,

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Vijay Devarapalli wrote:

> Henrik,
>
> there is some mis-understanding regarding the relation
> between draft-soliman and draft-wakikawa. both solve the
> scenario of a v6 MN or MR accessing its v6 home agent from
> a v4 only access network. draft-soliman talks about using a
> IPv4 mapped IPv6 address to convey the IPv4 CoA to the
> HA. draft-wakikawa uses a new mobility option to carry
> the IPv4 CoA. I personally prefer carrying it in a separate
> mobility option, because it makes processing on the HA easier.
> we can debate the pros and cons of this later. but this *does*
> not impact the scenario. both solve the same scenario.
>
> there are other scenarios, but IMHO, they are not relevant.
>
> regarding Sri's concerns, we do intend to address them. dont
> worry about that. we have an assumption in the draft.
>
> - the HA's IPv4 address is reachable through the IPv4 internet
>
> Sri is questioning this assumption. he is claiming this is
> not so easy. he doesnt want IPv4 routing inside his IPv6
> network. the HA is deep inside in the IPv6 network. for the
> HA's IPv4 address to be reachable, you might need a box in
> the DMZ, which traps the packets for the HA's IPv4 address
> and tunnels them to the HA deep in the IPv6 network. but here
> we end with extra tunneling between the box sitting in the
> DMZ and the HA deep in the IPv6 network. another option is to
> place the HA in the DMZ. but he doesnt want to do that. I
> will be discussing with him to see how we can come up with a
> solution. Sri, let me know if I still dont understand the
> issue you are bringing up.

We need to agree on the most common scenarios that we need to
address and so we need a problem statement. That should be the
basis for defining a solution. Further, we need to have some
gap analysis on each of the three present solutions and
leverage some thing from them. I agree, we cannot afford to
spend too much on that, but at the same time adopting a
solution with out having an understanding of the deployment
models is not right either.

We have implementations based on draft-thubert-nemo-ipv4-traversal
and some good thinking went in to that proposal and it is
important that we review all these solutions in the context
of the agreed upon problem space.

Regards
Sri