Re: [Mip6] Consensus call on making ID draft-wakikawa-nemo-v4tunnel a MIP6/NEMO WGs document

Sri Gundavelli <sgundave@cisco.com> Wed, 30 March 2005 22:42 UTC

Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 14:38:46 -0800
From: Sri Gundavelli <sgundave@cisco.com>
To: Basavaraj.Patil@nokia.com
Subject: Re: [Mip6] Consensus call on making ID draft-wakikawa-nemo-v4tunnel a MIP6/NEMO WGs document
Cc: nemo@ietf.org, mip6@ietf.org
Sender: mip6-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Raj,
       In the last IETF nemo meeting, we raised some
issues on the approach chosen by this draft. We are
not convinced that the draft has explored and narrowed
down on the most common v4 traversal scenarios. The
basic assumption of the draft that the v6 Home Agent's
functionality is collapsed in to the transition gateway
is not valid and just addresses one scenario. The
requirement the draft imposes on having a V4 network
terminating on the v6 home agent is probably not
acceptible. Also, the draft's claim that they are
avoiding one extra encap layer is not true, the moment
you move the transition gateway from the home agent,
indeed an extra encap layer is needed.

There were some other proposals for solving this problem
and one being "draft-thubert-nemo-ipv4-traversal-01.txt",
we should look at this work as well. Before we agree on
a solution, we should atleast semantically agree on the
problem statement and the scope. I remember you words,
we should not boil the ocean in the process, Agreed !
But, atleast we should have some amount of discussions on
the problem scope. My 2c.

Regards
Sri