RE: CGA-based HoA generation for MIP6 (was RE: [Mipshop] Review of draft-arkko-mipshop-cga-cba-04)

"Narayanan, Vidya" <vidyan@qualcomm.com> Mon, 14 August 2006 20:18 UTC

Subject: RE: CGA-based HoA generation for MIP6 (was RE: [Mipshop] Review of draft-arkko-mipshop-cga-cba-04)
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 13:18:20 -0700
From: "Narayanan, Vidya" <vidyan@qualcomm.com>
To: Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net>
Cc: Christian Vogt <chvogt@tm.uka.de>, mipshop@ietf.org

> Jari Arkko wrote:
>
> Narayanan, Vidya wrote:
>
> >One question regarding CGA-based HoAs - don't we need to specify how
> >CGA-based HoAs impact home registrations? For instance, the
> preferred
> >HoA bootstrapping mechanism today is using IKEv2. I'd
> imagine that we
> >will need to specify how a CGA-based HoA is generated after
> MPD and how
> >that binding is registered with the HA (i.e., does it need
> to be signed?
> >Does the HA also need to know if the HoA has been generated using
> >CGAs?).
> >

> Good question! I do not recall if this has been analyzed
> during the design of cga-cba draft. But taking a look at
> draft-ietf-mip6-ikev2-ipsec, it does allow the mobile node to
> suggest what address to use. I'm not sure the draft says
> anything about discovering the prefix first before suggesting
> an address (which would be needed for CGAs), but this seems
> in general possible in IKEv2. Vijay, are you listening?

That is one part of the open question. The other part is to analyze
whether this has any implication for the home bindings itself - i.e., if
the HA knows that this is a CGA-based HoA and if it needs to be asserted
via a signature, etc. For the moment, I think I can look at it both ways
:) But, this needs to be thought through further.

This would have significant implications to the cga-cba work, in the
sense that if we determine that home bindings will need to change, that
needs to be first standardized and then CGA-based RO can be built on top
of that.

Vidya