Re: CGA-based HoA generation for MIP6 (was RE: [Mipshop] Review of draft-arkko-mipshop-cga-cba-04)

Christian Vogt <chvogt@tm.uka.de> Tue, 15 August 2006 11:08 UTC

Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 13:07:53 +0200
From: Christian Vogt <chvogt@tm.uka.de>
To: "Narayanan, Vidya" <vidyan@qualcomm.com>
Subject: Re: CGA-based HoA generation for MIP6 (was RE: [Mipshop] Review of draft-arkko-mipshop-cga-cba-04)
Cc: mipshop@ietf.org, Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net>

Narayanan, Vidya wrote:
>> Good question! I do not recall if this has been analyzed during the
>> design of cga-cba draft. But taking a look at
>> draft-ietf-mip6-ikev2-ipsec, it does allow the mobile node to
>> suggest what address to use. I'm not sure the draft says anything
>> about discovering the prefix first before suggesting an address
>> (which would be needed for CGAs), but this seems in general
>> possible in IKEv2. Vijay, are you listening?
>
> That is one part of the open question. The other part is to analyze
> whether this has any implication for the home bindings itself - i.e.,
> if the HA knows that this is a CGA-based HoA and if it needs to be
> asserted via a signature, etc. For the moment, I think I can look at
> it both ways :) But, this needs to be thought through further.

That's very true.

>From a security perspective, I don't currently see a requirement for the
HA to know that the HoA is CGA-based, given that all MN-HA security is
IPsec-based:

- During bootstrapping, the HA authenticates the MN, assigns or accepts
a HoA, and binds the HoA to the MN's identity.

- During further binding updates, IPsec will again be used to
authenticate the MN, and HoA ownership can then be verified by looking
at the MN-HoA binding established during bootstrapping.

>From a practical standpoint, there may be a benefit for the HA to know
that the MN's HoA is CGA-based.  E.g., the same public key may be used
for the IPsec SA and for generation of the CGA-based HoA.  This may help
the HA in verifying whether the MN is authorized to use a specific HoA.
 If SEND is used on the home link, proxying the MN's CGA-based HoA would
be an issue.  But all this is actually orthogonal to the CGA-CBA
protocol IMO; I don't see it's critical.

What do you think?

- Christian

--
Christian Vogt, Institute of Telematics, Universitaet Karlsruhe (TH)
www.tm.uka.de/~chvogt/pubkey/