Flooding Attacks and MIP6 (was RE: [Mipshop] Review of draft-arkko-mipshop-cga-cba-04)

"Narayanan, Vidya" <vidyan@qualcomm.com> Mon, 14 August 2006 18:16 UTC

Subject: Flooding Attacks and MIP6 (was RE: [Mipshop] Review of draft-arkko-mipshop-cga-cba-04)
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 11:16:11 -0700
From: "Narayanan, Vidya" <vidyan@qualcomm.com>
To: Christian Vogt <chvogt@tm.uka.de>
Cc: Wassim Haddad <whaddad@tcs.hut.fi>, mipshop@ietf.org, Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@ericsson.com>

Hi Christian,
Thanks for taking the time to respond. It is extremely refreshing to be
having a technical discussion! Also, apologies for the delayed response
- last week turned out to be very busy.

I want to separate the topics out, since these are long discussions.
I'll start separate threads on a couple of other related topics after
this.

Summarizing the means by which flooding attacks can be realized:

1. Directly flooding the victim by sending traffic to the victim - as
you pointed out, this requires reasonable amount of effort on the
attacker's part.

2. Subscribing for bogus sessions using a victim's IP address (TCP has
some behavior that can help here, for e.g., slowing down if proper acks
aren't received, but it is possible to subscribe to UDP/RTP sessions).
This would allow the attacker to amplify the attack without too much
direct resource involvement.

3. Using MIP6 home subscription to redirect traffic to the victim. Of
course, the risk here is that of authenticated nodes registering the
victim's IP address as its CoA.

4. Using MIP6 RO to redirect traffic to the victim. If there is a HoA
test, here too, the risk is that of authenticated nodes registering the
victim's IP address as its CoA. The HoA test cannot pass unless there is
a valid binding for that node at the HA. When the HoA is created with
CGAs, this situation has full equivalence with the home subscription.
Note that I'm still not saying the MN-HA authenticated state has any
meaning to the CN.

If I understand correctly, you are saying that MIP6 can be used to
amplify flooding attacks. Even though I think in practice, 2 above can
be used to amplify flooding attacks, if that is the intention, I can buy
the argument that if say, 2 is solved by other means, you will still be
left with the possibility of amplification via 3 and 4.

However, the point I struggle with is this - as I've said above, I think
there is equivalence in the attack that is possible with 3 and 4,
assuming that the HoA is based on CGAs and a HoA test is done. So, if we
say RR for CoA is needed, it is equally needed for 3 and 4. I don't see
why it is needed for 4 alone in this case.

Thoughts?

Vidya