Re: RR enhancements (Was: Re: [Mipshop] MIPSHOP discussion on new items and milestones)

Wassim Haddad <whaddad@tcs.hut.fi> Sun, 20 March 2005 23:07 UTC

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 01:04:50 +0200
From: Wassim Haddad <whaddad@tcs.hut.fi>
To: Christian Vogt <chvogt@tm.uka.de>
Subject: Re: RR enhancements (Was: Re: [Mipshop] MIPSHOP discussion on new items and milestones)
Cc: Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@kolumbus.fi>, mipshop@ietf.org, Vijay Devarapalli <vijayd@iprg.nokia.com>, Gabriel Montenegro <gab@sun.com>, tm-ro2@tm.uka.de
Sender: mipshop-bounces@ietf.org

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005, Christian Vogt wrote:

> Hi everybody.
>
> Sorry for jumping into this thread late.
>
> > I have high reliance that the basic schemes are solid, even if
> > there's certainly work left for a number of I-D revision cycles. CGA
> > has been around longer than base RR, and if you take all the advanced
> > asymmetric flow stuff away from CBA, you get a very simple scheme.
>
> Let me just clarify this for those folks who are not so familiar with CBA.

> The CBA proposal currently under discussion in Mobopts introduces two
> "modes".  In the "simple mode" (let's call it so for now), the CN gives
> credit to a MN for packets received from the MN.  The CN reduces the
> credit for packets that it sends to it at an unverified CoA (for which a
> *concurrent* CoA test is still in progress) of the MN.  This is the
> easiest way to rule out any amplified flooding attacks that malicious
> MN's may otherwise use their unverified CoA's for.

=> Can you please explain more on this? For example what happens after I
get enough high credits from the CN? Does this mean that I won't have to
do the CoTI/CoT messages in the future? Or I can simply increase the delay
to do it?

OTOS, is there any relation between the number of credits provided for
each packet and the _number_ of previous handover also?

> The simple mode is easy to implement; we did this for Kame-Shisa Mobile
> IPv6.  Also, the simple mode is transparent to the MN; only the CN needs
> to implement it.

> In the "advanced mode", the CN gives a MN credit for packets that the MN
> has received from it (i.e., for packets going into the opposite
> direction than in simple mode).  The advantage here is that the same
> communication direction is used for increasing and decreasing the
> credit.  Applications with asymmetric traffic streams like TCP downloads
> and streaming may work better in the advanced mode.  More symmetric
> applications like VoIP and video conferencing are fine with both the
> simple and advanced mode.
>
> Yet, for the CN to know how may packets the MN actually receives, the
> advanced mode needs some sort of packet-loss feedback.  We thus
> introduced an optional in-band-signaling mechanism, CoA spot checks.
> CoA spot checks require support from the MN, however.
>
> Due to the additional complexity and the loss of transparency, Jari's
> suggestion (and Gabriel's earlier suggestion) is to standardize the
> simple CBA mode, and leave the advanced CBA mode to Mobopts.  I do
> support this approach, but I should add that I am a co-author of CBA.

=> Good to have a confirmation but your name is in clear on the draft!

> Standardizing simple CBA can well be done in a way complementary to, but
> independent of, CGA-OMIPv6.  BTW, the HIP community will integrate
> simple CBA to HIP mobility, too, as decided at IETF 62.

=> Good to know. But I don't see the link!

Wassim H.