Re: [mpls-tp] liaisons to the ITU-T (3) the cooperation on MPLS-TP

<neil.2.harrison@bt.com> Sat, 21 February 2009 18:08 UTC

Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 18:09:04 -0000
From: neil.2.harrison@bt.com
To: Italo.Busi@alcatel-lucent.it, loa@pi.nu
Cc: mpls-tp@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [mpls-tp] liaisons to the ITU-T (3) the cooperation on MPLS-TP

Hi Italo...I think its only fair to point out here that I spent a year
or so arguing for the use of a CV flow in MPLS ~7 years ago when I was
writing Y.1710/Y.1711.  At that time this 'powerful tool' came in for a
quite a bit of ridicule within IETF.  Of course this was quite
understandable, because if one breaks the rules of a connection (eg LDP
or PHP merging) then a simple CV OAM solution like Y.1711 can't be used
and one requires much more complex OAM.....and when one factors-in ECMP
this becomes almost proactively intractable IMO.  But OAM is the least
of the problems that such constructs create; fundamentally if one cannot
determinsitically manage resource because the rules of a connection are
broken then one has to design/operate the whole network to the single
most stringent client SLA in force.

Good OAM only follows good initial network/protocol design....so
understanding/getting the arch rules right for each of the 3 network
modes is crucially important...and they are *not* the same.  I am not at
all impressed by arguments from those folks that try and force some kind
of 'common functional solution' here...whether this is the myth of a
common CP running IP to Optics or those that advocate the same OAM for
all 3 network modes.  Sure we can re-use some components....but we
should do this wisely and from a position of proper technical
understanding and not dogma.

When we are dealing with the co-ps mode the most important thing to get
right is the rules of a connection....good OAM can then follow from
this.  And good OAM is not complex, it is just the opposite, ie
simple/sparse.

If you really want a best-case/lowest-cost solution for proactive
misconnectivity protection for the co-ps mode then it's a jolly good
idea to have a SA in each/every traffic unit (not just an adjunct OAM CV
flow)....just like one finds in PBB-TE for example.

regards, neil