[mpls] Alia Atlas' Discuss on draft-ietf-mpls-residence-time-14: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Alia Atlas <akatlas@gmail.com> Wed, 01 March 2017 23:05 UTC

From: Alia Atlas <akatlas@gmail.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2017 15:05:52 -0800
Cc: draft-ietf-mpls-residence-time@ietf.org, mpls@ietf.org, mpls-chairs@ietf.org
Subject: [mpls] Alia Atlas' Discuss on draft-ietf-mpls-residence-time-14: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Alia Atlas has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-mpls-residence-time-14: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-residence-time/

DISCUSS:

Thank you for a clear document.  I think that this should be a
straightforward Discuss to better clarify.

In Section 4.8.1, it says "The RTM Set sub-object contains an ordered
list, from egress node to
   ingress node, of the RTM capable nodes along the LSP's path." but the
sub-TLVs (as most clearly
indicated by "4.8.1.3.  Unnumbered Interface Sub-TLV" are actually meant
to be a list of interfaces.
It isn't clear whether these are supposed to be the egress interface, the
ingress interface, or just any
interface - or why sending just a Router ID wouldn't be sufficient.
There is no indication as to whether
it is ok to include both the IPv4 and IPv6 address Sub-TLVs for the same
node or how to select which one
to use.

COMMENT:

1) I am disappointed that the sub-TLV needed for an OSPFv3 Extended LSA
isn't defined.  While I understand that a normative reference isn't
desirable - instead of "left for future study", it would be better to say
that the sub-TLV should use the same format as in Sec 4.3 and that the
type allocation and full details are left to a future document.   This is
exactly how gaps are created for networks running only IPv6.   If
draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv3-lsa-extend-13 were not waiting for implementations
and had a clear time-frame for how and when to progress, this would also
be a Discuss.