Re: [mpls] MPLS-RT review of draft-kompella-mpls-larp

Lucy yong <lucy.yong@huawei.com> Tue, 14 July 2015 14:45 UTC

From: Lucy yong <lucy.yong@huawei.com>
To: "Aissaoui, Mustapha (Mustapha)" <mustapha.aissaoui@alcatel-lucent.com>, Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu>, "Kamran Raza (skraza)" <skraza@cisco.com>, Sriganesh Kini <sriganesh.kini@ericsson.com>, "draft-kompella-mpls-larp@tools.ietf.org" <draft-kompella-mpls-larp@tools.ietf.org>, "mpls-chairs@tools.ietf.org" <mpls-chairs@tools.ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 14:45:07 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.47.155.156]
Cc: "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [mpls] MPLS-RT review of draft-kompella-mpls-larp

Hi All,

I reviewed draft-kompella-mpls-larp as the member of MPLS Review Team and have the following comments:

is the document coherent?

Yes. It specifies LARP protocol to advertise label binding for IP host address, which extends MPLS to Hosts. Definitely MPLS related.

is it useful (i.e., is it likely to be actually useful in operational networks)?

Technically speaking, this protocol can be implemented. I am not a (DC) operator so not sure if the operator wants to deploy this protocol in DC or between access nodes and first hop MPLS-enabled device. The protocol may help automation at mpls edge. One question: beside label binding to host address, what other MPLS benefits will hosts gain compared to current architecture? For example, if MPLS OAM features can be extended to hosts, i.e. end-to-end?

is the document technically sound?
Yes, LARP is used between host and MPLS network to convey label binding to IP host address. The draft provides a solution in control plane and data plane to achieve this purpose.

is the document ready to be considered for WG adoption?
Not yet.  IMO: LARP protocol should work in a practical environment where hosts and an MPLS device are connected via an intermediate bridge (IEEE.1Q). Current draft only considers the case that host directly connects to MPLS device. In addition, it is necessary to address some items listed in section 4 ahead, which helps validate the feasibility in operational environment. For examples, 1) client and service in sync; 4) if there are many servers, which one to pick?

Regards,
Lucy