[mpls] Simultaneity of multi-level HPSM (Re: Poll on draft-koike-mpls-tp-temporal-hitless-psm)

Yoshinori Koike <koike.yoshinori@lab.ntt.co.jp> Wed, 22 February 2012 04:21 UTC

Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 13:24:40 +0900
From: Yoshinori Koike <koike.yoshinori@lab.ntt.co.jp>
To: Zhenlong Cui <c-sai@bx.jp.nec.com>
Cc: mpls@ietf.org, ahmpls-tp@lists.itu.int
Subject: [mpls] Simultaneity of multi-level HPSM (Re: Poll on draft-koike-mpls-tp-temporal-hitless-psm)

Hi Zhenlong,

Thank you for your comment. I'm sorry for this late reply.

As we wrote in the same section, a combination of multi-level and
"simultaneous monitoring" is the most powerful tool for accurately
diagnosing the performance of a transport path.

However I think it's better to add some texts for clarification in the
section. We will refine the section using your proposed text next time
we update the draft.

Editors already discussed the necessity of simultaneity of multi-level
HPSMs before. The following is just a reference information.

Our fist priority is to request a tool to diagnose a degraded point
without affecting transport path. From that perspective, a single-level
HPSM is mandatory.

Secondly, multi-level HPSMs can make the detection of a degraded point
more efficient. Therefore, it is an option in the current draft.

In addition, the simultaneity of multi-level HPSMs is related to an
accuracy of the measurements which can make the detection much more
efficient. Therefore, it is also an option. (I understand that it is not
clear in the texts.)

Best regards,

Yoshinori