Re: [multimob] Comparing the proposals for basic multicast support

"Lu, Guang" <Guang.Lu@InterDigital.com> Wed, 28 October 2009 20:59 UTC

Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 17:00:01 -0400
From: "Lu, Guang" <Guang.Lu@InterDigital.com>
To: multimob@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [multimob] Comparing the proposals for basic multicast support

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for reviewing our draft and providing comments. Please see our replies embedded below.

Best regards
Guang & Juan Carlos

[Guang-JC] We read the existing drafts. This section meant to explain our view of the basic solutions, as suggested in the charter. It is good that solutions from different drafts are converging.

> Does Figure 3 omit MLD queries, as well? If not, why should a MN send
> an
> MLD report subsequent to re-attachment?
[Guang-JC] All MLD queries were omitted in the figures for simplicity. MN can also send unsolicited reports.

> Another remark on presentation: you skip additional LMAs that may be
> around for other MNs. In doing so, the draft expresses the misleading
> intuition of a uniquely defined path from MAGs to 'the' LMA - in
> PMIPv6,
> there is need for a mapping.
[Guang-JC] Since the call flows illustrated one LMA, we showed one LMA only in the architecture figure. We can add another LMA in Figure 1, but that LMA would not be used in the call flows and that might also create confusion.

>    Section 4:
>
> In this section you contribute the proposal to concentrate all
> multicast
> channels on one dedicated LMA. This approach obsoletes a MN <-> LMA
> mapping at MAGs in the case of multicast and resolves redundant traffic
> possibly arriving at one MAG. In eliminating the tunnel convergence
> problem at the MAG, you place the burden at the LMA and may encounter
> the traditional tunnel convergence problem of a HA in the bi-
> directional
> tunneling approach (see
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-mobopts-mmcastv6-ps-09). The
> scalability constraint arises from the burden at the LMA to serve
> \sum_{i in MAGs}{Mcast-Streams-at-MAG_i} simultaneously. A large number
> of MAGs with various mcast listeners is your problem here, while a
> large
> number of MNs attached at one MAG, but associated to different LMAs is
> the problem of the solution in
> [draft-schmidt-multimob-pmipv6-mcast-deployment-02].
[Guang-JC] The tunnel convergence issue, as you said, is a traditional issue with PMIP. Actually the dedicated multicast LMA architecture can help to avoid tunnel convergence, and control the traffic load at LMA. For example, one multicast tunnel can be used instead of multiple unicast tunnels for multicast traffic.

> Furthermore, as written earlier:
> A corresponding deployment would be as follows: Operators have a PMIP
> (unicast) domain and add (and statically pre-configure at MAGs) an
> additional multicast LMA that serves all groups. This is a set-up not
> considered so far, but may be feasible for operators???
>
> ==> Operator comments should debate on that.
>
>    Section 5:
>
> This section I don't really understand: you call for HO-triggers
> without
> specifying them. Do you just speak about L2 triggers at re-attachment?
> This I believe is independent of multicast, outside the scope of
> Multimob and solved elsewhere, anyway.
> Do you speak about a L3 trigger of re-attachment? This actually is
> present in PMIP with the RtrSol. There is nothing new then.
> Or do you speak about fast predictive handovers (as indicated between
> the lines)? Then you should look at
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-mipshop-pfmipv6-09, but multicast
> considerations for fast handovers are still out of scope from the
> charter.
[Guang-JC] We used a general term of "HO Trigger" to refer to any kind of triggers regarding to HO before re-attachments. These triggers can be in different forms, such as L2 triggers, or a command from the network, etc. We are aware of such discussions within other groups. Our purpose is not to propose such triggers, but to illustrate how such information can be used in PMIP to facilitate HO for multicast services. Also, draft-ietf-mipshop-pfmipv6-09 proposes a tunnel between pMAG and nMAG for traffic forwarding. We propose to pass the control information only, not the data between the network nodes.

>   Section 6:
>
> You propose two "MLD enhancements": In 6.1 you sketch a predictive JOIN
> - this again is a brick of a (generally much more complex) fast
> handover
> scenario (s.o.).
[Guang-JC] We wanted to state how the multicast JOIN procedure can be enhanced in general. It can be based on other work, say the fast handover solutions.

> In section 6.2, you consider a "fast join" send by the MN on
> re-attachment. This actually requires an active participation of the MN
> in the PMIP HO process - and is violating the key objective of PMIP to
> leave mobility operations at the network side.
[Guang-JC] In our view, this does not require the MN to participate in the HO process. It only requires that the MN is "aware" that a new interface is up, which is usually available at a host.

> In summary, I would extract the "dedicated LMA for multicast" as the
> valid contribution, which you jointly propose with
> [draft-contreras-multimob-msd-00]. There should probably follow a
> discussion on
>
>   a) Deployment issues: Would a separate Multicast LMA be a feasible
> deployment path
>      that is preferred over multicast traffic arriving through standard
> LMAs for unicast?
>
>   b) Scalability issues: What is the more severe scalability concern,
> many MAGs being
>      served by a single LMA (tunnel convergence problem at the LMA), or
> many LMAs serving
>      a single MAG (tunnel convergence problem at the MAG)?
>
> Thanks for bringing this up!
[Guang-JC] We will be very glad to discuss more with the group in Hiroshima!