Re: [multimob] Comparing the proposals for basic multicast support

"Luis M. Contreras" <luisc@it.uc3m.es> Sun, 25 October 2009 19:41 UTC

Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 20:41:37 +0100
From: "Luis M. Contreras" <luisc@it.uc3m.es>
To: "Thomas C. Schmidt" <schmidt@informatik.haw-hamburg.de>
Cc: isoto@it.uc3m.es, multimob@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [multimob] Comparing the proposals for basic multicast support

Hi Thomas,

just for clarification, please, see below some additional comments

>> I think you mix terms of draft-zuniga-multimob-smspmip-00 and
>> draft-contreras-multimob-msd-00.
>>
> I don't think so, but I may not have understood your section 6 correctly.
>
> In section 6.1 you state "In this draft, just one MLD proxy instance is
>    considered to be running in the MAG, and as consequence, just one
>    interface can be defined as upstream interface."
>
> There are essentially two ways to deal with this setup:
>
>  a) Direct multicast routing as previously proposed in
> [draft-sijeon-multimob-mms-pmip6-00].
>     This would not be new and has had several discussions on the list.
>
>  b) A dedicated uplink to *one* LMA that serves for all multicast.
> This was my point of
>     discussion and arguments have been extended in my previous mail
> to Guang and Juan Carlos.
>
> So I'm still not sure which scenario you have in mind - however,
> arguments are given about both.

I see that the scenario (a) could contain the scenario (b); in other
words, the scenario (b) can be seen as a particular case of scenario
(a).

>> Not exactly. The pMAG can play the role of MLD proxy or the role of
>> multicast router. In the later case the flow will be:
>>
>> mcast source ==> pMAG ==> LMA ==> nMAG ==> MN
>>
>> In the former, in case of the LMA is the multicast router, the
>> scenario will be as you described, but in a generic way the flow
>> will be:
>>
>> mcast source ===> multicast router ==> pMAG ==> LMA ==> nMAG ==> MN
>>

> O.K., this again depends on your routing scenario (I previously asked
> about). However, even if the pMAG acts as multicast router, traffic
> normally arrives from outside the mobile access network and thus
> crosses it three times.

Right, but note that the flow is not permanent, it crosses temporally
the mobile access network just to deliver asap the multicast content to
the MN after a handover.

>> The main benefit is an immediate delivery of the multicast flow. The
>> MN will have the flow just after registration in nMAG. Further
>> improvements to the zig-zag delivery can be expected with protocols
>> extensions/modifications. By now, the zig-zag is the price to pay
>> for immediate delivery of the multicast traffic.
>>

> Mhmm, are you sure this is faster? MLD querying can be quick (with
> appropriate timers) and in parallel to Binding updates, so the time
> needed for multicast traffic to arrive does not really exceed
> RTT(nMAG-LMA). In your approach, I would calculate RTT(nMAG-LMA), as
> well, as traffic needs to arrive at the nMAG from LMA after a Binding
> Update. Buffering at the LMA may avoid packet loss in both scenarios.

I think that pMAG-assisted handover would take just (RTT(nMAG-LMA)/2)
because it is not required any message in the direction nMAG -> LMA.
The encapsulated multicast flow goes follows the direction LMA -> nMAG
withou any previous signalling message in the reverse direction.

> Now I hopefully have met your draft entirely ;)

Thanks again for your comments

> Best wishes & hope to see you in Hiroshima,
>
> Thomas

Best regards,

Luis