Re: [multipathtcp] MPTCP Architecture Draft available

"Ford, Alan" <alan.ford@roke.co.uk> Tue, 20 October 2009 17:34 UTC

Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 18:34:12 +0100
From: "Ford, Alan" <alan.ford@roke.co.uk>
To: Dominik Kaspar <dokaspar.ietf@gmail.com>
Cc: multipathtcp@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [multipathtcp] MPTCP Architecture Draft available

Dominik,

Many thanks for your comments. The question of "when" to use MPTCP is
indeed an important one, which we will be discussing further in later
versions of this draft. The Path Manager has the task of choosing when
to use additional paths, and so I would suggest that it is the
appropriate place to take into account the needs of different types of
traffic. This could be signalled to it from the application layer, or it
could infer needs from session length, type of traffic, etc. It is at
least partially an implementation-specific issue, however. We shall
definitely take this into account in the next version of this document.

You may find some of the discussion in the Application Considerations
draft is more relevant to this topic, and we would of course be very
interested in hearing your thoughts these topics, such as the
"application requirements".

http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-scharf-mptcp-api-00.txt

Regards,
Alan