Re: [Netconf] In an update, when is a delete a delete?

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Wed, 24 May 2017 07:35 UTC

Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 09:35:45 +0200
To: evoit@cisco.com
Cc: alexander.clemm@huawei.com, netconf@ietf.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [Netconf] In an update, when is a delete a delete?

"Eric Voit (evoit)" <evoit@cisco.com> wrote:
> > From: Martin Bjorklund, May 23, 2017 1:57 PM

> > > At the top of yang-push page 7, xpath selection is described.  Is
> > > there something you feel missing?
> >
> > Yes.  First of all, the YANG module defines an identity called
> > "xpath", based on
> > "sn:filter".  So this filter has nothing to do with selecting nodes in
> > a datastore;
> > this filter is used to match against a generated notification record.
>
> To address this we could split the xpath identity into two types:
> "xpath-selection" and "xpath-boolean".  These would have different
> definitions, but both reference
> http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-xpath-19991116 .  The difference is that
> one results in a xpath node-set expression, and the other an xpath
> Boolean expression.  Make sense?

Not really.  In subscribed-notifications you have defined a generic
filter mechanism, that is used to block/allow the sending of generated
notifications to a subscriber.  This filter mechanism cannot be used
to select nodes to subscribe to for changes in a datastore.  You need
to define a separate mechansim for that in yang-push.  (Maybe not
even call it "filter", but perhaps "selection").

Some comments on subscribed-notifications: This generic mechanism
allows various filter syntaxes.  This generic mechanism needs to
explain what is required by a filter syntax definition (an identity,
evaluation rules).  In section 2.2 the document says that two filter
syntaxes are supported, but only one is defined (xpath).  It needs to
explain that a filter is supposed to return true or false (this part
RFC 5277 got right, see section 3.6).  Also, the current module has
the filter in an anyxml node; it is not clear how an XPath expression
is encoded in anyxml.

> > Second, the XPath filter is sorely underspecified.  The XPath context
> > is not
> > described,
>
> I understand and agree on your comment about the context.  The intent
> here is to provide equivalent capabilities of a GET.

I understand that.

> As it would be a
> huge undertaking to try to consolidate an industry-wide view of the
> minimal xpath syntax and capabilities in networking

Ehh... yes?  What does this have to do with specifiying the XPath
context?

> , I am hoping this
> doesn't fall under the umbrella of YANG subscription.  I would be glad
> to support someone who wishes to take this up though.
>
> > the expected result data type is not defined, and it is not described
> > how the result is supposed to be used.
>
> As for the result, the anydata output should be provided to the
> subscriber (with appropriate security applied).

I was referring to the output of the filter evaluation.

> They can determine
> how to use it.  The preferred embodiment would be to maintain a local
> extract of the Publisher's datastore (as defined by the filter).

> > > Yes, the filters in subscribed-notification are supposed to give a
> > > boolean indication as to whether a specific event should traverse the
> > > filter in its entirety. RFC6241 section 6 subtree filters are written
> > > to provide a subset of content.  I suppose it would be possible to
> > > define an event-based subtree-filter-type where a non-null result of
> > > the subtree filter means that a particular event should traverse that
> > > filter.  Is this what you are suggesting?
> >
> > Yes.  Note that this is already provided by RFC 5277, and I have
> > always
> > assumed that this new work will provide at least the same functions as
> > RFC
> > 5277 (and more).  (But note that the XPath filter is underspecified
> > also in RFC
> > 5277...)
>
> I also want to make sure that a non-null result from a filter allows
> the event to pass.  I suspect that an xpath Boolean filter could be
> designed to do this, but I will tweak the subscribed-notifications
> text so that unnecessary filtering expression complexity is not
> artificially required.

Please make sure you understand how subtree filters and XPath filters
work in RFC 5277.  There is nothing wrong with that functionality.

> > > Filtering syntax is hard, so we have been trying to adopt whatever is
> > > available for GET.  This way we don't have to educate users on a new
> > > universe of what is possible.  I fully expect that lots of learnings
> > > are going to come in the industry here over time, and this will be
> > > revisited in the future.
> >
> > ?
> >
> > I am not proposing any new filter syntax.  I am saying that the
> > current filter
> > nodes as defined in subscribed-notification cannot be used to select
> > nodes to
> > subscribe to for changes.
>
> Understand.  Hopefully with the "xpath-selection" change proposed
> above, this will be covered.

No, see above.

/martin