Re: [Netconf] mbj's WGLC review of yang-push-17

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Mon, 10 September 2018 09:33 UTC

Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2018 11:33:06 +0200
To: alexander.clemm@huawei.com
Cc: netconf@ietf.org, evoit@cisco.com
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [Netconf] mbj's WGLC review of yang-push-17

Hi,

Alexander Clemm <alexander.clemm@huawei.com> wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> please see my responses inline, <ALEX>, trimming the closed stuff
> ("Ok.")
>
> Thanks
> --- Alex

> > > <ALEX3> OK, how about saying "The server MAY (but does not have to)
> > > merge pending update messages". </ALEX3>
> >
> > Well, the term "update message" is not defined, so it shouldn't be
> > used.
> > Presumably you mean "update record".
>
> <ALEX> sure </ALEX>
>

> > But I still don't really understand how this is supposed to work.  The
> > push-code in
> > the publisher creates an update record A and hands it over to the
> > transport
> > layer, where it is queued:
> >
> >    It is perfectly acceptable to have a series of "push-change-
> >    update" notifications (and even "push update" notifications) serially
> >    queued at the transport layer awaiting transmission.
> >
> > Then the push-code in the publisher creates another update record B
> > and hands
> > it over to the transport layer.
> >
> > Are you saying that the transport layer code now can merge these two
> > update
> > records into a single record?

You didn't answer this question.

> > So if record A had "create foo, delete
> > bar" and
> > record B had "delete foo", there would be a single record with "delete
> > bar,
> > delete foo"?

You didn't answer this question.

> > If two records are merged, what happens to the idea of using the
> > 'patch-id' as
> > an indication of lost records?

You didn't answer this question.

> <ALEX> All this is saying is that it is up to the publisher to decide
> how to "group" the updates: whether to send a single update record (in
> a single notification), or whether to create multiple records (sent
> with multiple notifications).
> To make this clear, slight updates as follows:
> " It is perfectly acceptable to have a series of "push-change-update"
> notifications (and even "push update" notifications) serially queued
> at the transport layer awaiting transmission.  It is not required for
> the publisher to merge pending update records sent at the the same
> time."
> </ALEX>

I think that if you really want to allow such merging, it needs to be
described how it is supposed to be done, e.g. wrt. the patch-id.  But
I would rather see that this "merging" feature is removed.

(In one sense, it doesn't matter much; it is an optional behaviour so
since I don't understand it, I can simply just not implement it.)

/martin