Re: [netext] Comments & Questions on the I-D: draft-bernardos-netext-pmipv6-flowmob-00

Carlos Jesús Bernardos Cano <cjbc@it.uc3m.es> Tue, 20 July 2010 22:01 UTC

From: Carlos Jesús Bernardos Cano <cjbc@it.uc3m.es>
To: "Laganier, Julien" <julienl@qualcomm.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 00:02:57 +0200
Cc: netext@ietf.org, Tran Minh Trung <trungtm@etri.re.kr>
Subject: Re: [netext] Comments & Questions on the I-D: draft-bernardos-netext-pmipv6-flowmob-00

Hi Julien,

On Tue, 2010-07-20 at 12:06 -0700, Laganier, Julien wrote:
> Hi Carlos,
>
> Carlos Jesús Bernardos Cano wrote:
> >
> > Hi Julien,
> >
> > On Tue, 2010-07-20 at 09:32 -0700, Laganier, Julien wrote:
> > > Hi Carlos,

> > > Why does the LMA needs to inform the MAG about flow mobility
> > > operations?
> > >
> > > It seems to me that these operations are essentially transparent to
> > > the MAG and thus the MAG needs not to be involved at all in flow
> > > mobility: The LMA decides where to send downlink packets, and the MN
> > > mirrors that behavior for uplink packet (as described in the logical
> > > interface draft.)
> >
> > Well, there are two scenarios. If the MN is assigned the same of
> > prefixes across the different physical interfaces that belong to the
> > logical interface, you are right that this signaling can be avoided
> > (this is actually pointed out in the draft), as there is nothing else
> > to be added at the MAG. However, if the MN gets different prefixes at
> > each physical interface, then we need to signal the MAG, so it knows
> > how to route packets downlink (and also to prevent potential ingress
> > filtering in the uplink).
>
> So in the simple case where the MN is assigned the same (set of)
> prefix(es) across multiple physical interfaces then there is no need
> for flow mobility signaling.

I need to think of this more carefully (just to ensure I'm not
overlooking anything). There might be the need in case the MN is
attached through different interfaces to the same MAG. In that case we
might need some support and signalling to make the MAG aware of the
interface that should be used to deliver packets to the MN. That is a
very particular scenario anyway, as the MAG will "see" the same IP
address attached at different interfaces.

> Since the draft does not detail any requirement that would justify the
> need for the other model (different prefixes assigned to different
> physical interfaces) my take is that we can keep things simple by
> simply removing that other model from the draft and proceed with a
> single (and simple) model -- same (set of) prefix(es) across multiple
> physical interfaces.

Well, the draft does not detail any requirement, but this does not
necessarily mean there is not (I'm not saying either way). I think this
deserves a second thought, because when I looked at existing solutions,
there were some that assumed that model, so I'd say that we need to at
least understand why. Maybe people can comment on this particular
issue... I'd fine to removing this if there is no real need for
supporting the two models.

Thanks,

Carlos

--
Carlos Jesús Bernardos Cano     http://www.netcoms.net
GPG FP: D29B 0A6A 639A A561 93CA  4D55 35DC BA4D D170 4F67