Re: [netext] Needs of traffic spec. on MAG?

Rajeev Koodli <rkoodli@cisco.com> Tue, 03 August 2010 17:22 UTC

Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2010 10:30:16 -0700
From: Rajeev Koodli <rkoodli@cisco.com>
To: Tran Minh Trung <trungtm@etri.re.kr>
Cc: netext@ietf.org, "Laganier, Julien" <julienl@qualcomm.com>
Subject: Re: [netext] Needs of traffic spec. on MAG?

I see this is a terminology issue.

What is considered unique prefix in the draft is that each access is free to
assign whatever prefix is deemed right at the time of attachment - as folks
have pointed out, this is already supported in 5213. Now, *whenever* the LMA
decides to move one or more flows from a prefix for that access to another
access, it would have to signal the corresponding MAG. Looks like we agree
here.

What is considered a shared prefix in the draft is that the LMA assigns the
same prefix(es) to the new attachment. In this case, the LMA does not need
to signal the MAG for flow mobility purposes. However, we need to make some
extensions to RFC 5213 signaling requesting LMA to assign the same
prefix(es).

I hope this clarifies.

We need to support both models, regardless of what terminology you use.

I will send out some text on the topic.

-Rajeev