Re: [netext] Comments on I-D: draft-wolfner-netext-pmip6-connid-00

Xiangsong Cui <Xiangsong.Cui@huawei.com> Fri, 31 July 2009 04:13 UTC

Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 12:11:14 +0800
From: Xiangsong Cui <Xiangsong.Cui@huawei.com>
To: jouni korhonen <jouni.nospam@gmail.com>
Cc: netext@ietf.org, Basavaraj.Patil@nokia.com
Subject: Re: [netext] Comments on I-D: draft-wolfner-netext-pmip6-connid-00

Hi Jouni,

Thank you for your response.

> There are few reasons. First, which GRE key to use? Uplink or  downlink?
I think Uplink and downlink may be used to identify the connection
for different direction. MAG and LMA know well both uplink and
downlink after the registration.

> Obviously, the MAG does not know the uplink GRE key when  sending a PBU
> during the initial attach or after a handover.. so you  would lack the
> "identifier" in the MAG in some situations.
I don't know in which situation the identifier would be lacking.
If you refer to handover, I think the GRE Key may also be a part
of the context, as connection-id does.

> If we were  to use the downlink key, according to the GRE key draft it is
> not  guaranteed that the downlink remains the same between inter-MAG
> handover.
The same problem with connection-id, if you use connection-id, can
you guarantee that the connection-id is always same?
Inter-MAG handover is the common issue for all identifiers.

> Second, the use of GRE keys and GRE tunneling is optional in PMIP6.  Well,
> so is Service Selection too but I would avoid building  additional
> dependencies between different documents if just possible.
Yes, GRE Key is an optional option. I think an optional option is used
for a optional feature is reasonable

> Third, overloading the function of the GRE key option does not sound a
> good idea in general, even if it were possible.
If it works well, why not take it as the solution?

I see many messages recently on the issue of expansion to protocol.

For example (Suresh and Vijay, I supposed you permit me to cite your words),

http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/75/slides/mext-0.ppt, slide 7,
Suresh says:
"There have been several extensions to CMIPv6;
.
But, there is no cohesive mobility architecture that holds these extensions
together;
.
This causes a lot of confusion and incompatible implementations"

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/netext/current/msg00729.html,
Vijay says:
"One option would be to re-use the HA
Switch Message from RFC 5142 and carry the redirect mobility option in this
message. This would avoid defining a new message."

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/netext/current/msg00739.html,
Vijay also says:
It would be a bad idea to have two different sets of
mechanisms.

I'm also in the position, if we can re-use some mechanisms,
we need NO expansion, so the protocols may be more simple.

Regards

Xiangsong