Re: [netext] Comments on I-D: draft-wolfner-netext-pmip6-connid-00

Xiangsong Cui <Xiangsong.Cui@huawei.com> Thu, 30 July 2009 10:00 UTC

Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 17:58:00 +0800
From: Xiangsong Cui <Xiangsong.Cui@huawei.com>
To: Basavaraj.Patil@nokia.com, jouni korhonen <jouni.nospam@gmail.com>, netext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [netext] Comments on I-D: draft-wolfner-netext-pmip6-connid-00

Hello Raj and Jouni,

I have a question about the draft.

Firstly, I agree the requirement of multiple PDN connections
to the same APN.

IMO, the major idea of this draft is as mentioned in the draft:

  The combination of MN-Identifier + Service Selection +
  Connection Identifier can uniquely identify mobility sessions even if
  the selected service on each mobility session for the same MN-
  Identifier are the same.

It recall me to another draft, "draft-ietf-netlmm-grekey-option-09.txt".
In the GREKEY draft, it says:
   This specification defines the GRE Key option to be used for the
   negotiation of GRE encapsulation mode and exchange of the uplink and
   downlink GRE keys.  The negotiated downlink and uplink GRE keys can
   be used for marking the downlink and uplink traffic for a specific
   mobility session.

The connid draft is used to identify a certain session among
multiple sessions, while the grekey draft is used to identify a
certain link/flow in the tunnel between the MAG and the LMA.

When I look at figure 1 in the grekey draft, it seems similar for the
both cases, because we just need to identify a connection, and the
connection may be a session or a flow.

So I have the question:
if we expand the meaning of GRE Key option, without protocol expansion,
can we use the combination "MN-Identifier + Service Selection + GRE key"
to identify the connections to the same APN?

Regards

Xiangsong