Re: [netmod] Text in import to indicate whether a module is needed as import-only or as implemented

Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz> Thu, 19 December 2019 07:23 UTC

From: Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz>
To: Andy Bierman <andy@yumaworks.com>, Balázs Lengyel <balazs.lengyel=40ericsson.com@dmarc.ietf.org>
Cc: "netmod@ietf.org" <netmod@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2019 08:23:27 +0100
Subject: Re: [netmod] Text in import to indicate whether a module is needed as import-only or as implemented

Andy Bierman <andy@yumaworks.com> writes:

> On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 6:08 AM Balázs Lengyel <balazs.lengyel=
> 40ericsson.com@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:
>
>> Hello Mahesh,
>>
>> I was asked by the group to include in each import statement whether the
>> imported module is needed as import-only or as implemented. IMHO
>> netmod/netconf group should agree on some standard text for model designers
>> to use. Maybe the text proposed below can be used everywhere. The sentence
>> starting with Revision yyyy-mm-dd  may not always be needed.
>>

>> I propose the text
>>

>>   import ietf-netconf-acm  {
>>
>>     prefix nacm;
>>
>>     description
>>
>> *       "The module ietf-netconf-acm is OPTIONAL to implement.";*
>>
>>   }
>>

>>   import ietf-yang-library {
>>
>>     prefix yanglib;
>>
>>     description *"The module ietf-yang-library is REQUIRED to*
>>
>> *      be implemented. Revision 2019-01-04 or a*
>>
>> *      revision derived from it is REQUIRED.";*
>>
>>   }
>>

>> Regards Balazs
>>

>> P.S. In Yang-Next this could be a candidate for a formal substatement
>> instead of a description text.
>>

> IMO this is a bad idea.
> The IETF keeps adding CLRs to YANG that make it harder to use over time.
> The YANG syntax defines what must be implemented from the imported module,

I don't see how YANG syntax defines this. If a module imports ietf-netconf-acm, it could be because

- it just uses a typedef, such as "node-instance-identifier", and then
  ietf-netconf-acm needn't be implemented (but can be),

or

- it augments ietf-netconf-acm, which makes sense only if the latter
  module is implemented.

It it the YANG library that specifies whether a module is implemented or not, but the "import" statement itself doesn't tell you anything.

> so extra description-stmts just add more busy work for writers and
> reviewers.
> The text specifying the revision overrides (and breaks) YANG rules.
> YANG 1.1 has specific import-by-revision that cannot be changed with a
> description-stmt.

This is one of the problems that the semver effort aims to solve. What happens quite oftem these days is that a module is written for NMDA and thus needs NMDA versions of modules to be imported. But specifying an exact revision is really a bad idea.

Lada