Re: [netmod] netmod Digest, Vol 109, Issue 17

Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz> Wed, 19 April 2017 08:50 UTC

From: Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz>
To: heasley <heas@shrubbery.net>, netmod@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 10:50:10 +0200
Subject: Re: [netmod] netmod Digest, Vol 109, Issue 17

heasley <heas@shrubbery.net> writes:

>> > I think you do not understand what I am saying. The main purpose of
>> > description statements etc. is that they are easily to read by humans.
>> >
>> > 7.21.3.  The "description" Statement
>> >
>> >   The "description" statement takes as an argument a string that
>> >   contains a human-readable textual description of this definition.
>> >
>> > I disagree with your claim that human-readable text is markup. The
>> > whole RFC series is formatted human-readable text, not markup. I
>> > believe this work is heading in the wrong direction, it will lead to
>> > endless discussions of many different flavors of markup used in
>> > description clauses, and it will harm interoperability at the human
>> > eye level.
>> >
>> > I believe there are way more important problems to work on. I am out
>> > of this thread (since there is more important work to do).
>>
>> I believe your discussion habits are sometimes aggressive and unacceptable.
>>
>> Lada
>
> I think that Juergen is to the point - and along with Andy is quite correct
> that this seems like a distraction and unnecessary.

Neither I nor the draft propose anything that would be difficult to read
in an unprocessed form. The draft says it quite clearly:

   It is RECOMMENDED to use only media types representing "lightweight"
   markup that is easy to read even in the unprocessed source form, such
   as "text/markdown".

I don't mind adding another recommendation that even lightweight markup
be used sparingly but, on the other hand, I don't see any reason to ban
it. Those who think it is uinmportant or unnecessary can simply avoid it
in their YANG modules and ignore this document and the extension defined
therein.

Lada