Re: [netmod] Last Call: draft-ietf-netmod-snmp-cfg-03 (20131220)

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Mon, 03 February 2014 20:20 UTC

Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2014 21:19:58 +0100
To: blukovic@ndt-inc.com
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Cc: netmod@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [netmod] Last Call: draft-ietf-netmod-snmp-cfg-03 (20131220)

Hi,

B Lukovic <blukovic@ndt-inc.com> wrote:
> The point is that if the data is created over SNMP there is no way with
> proposed yang module
> to preserve all info in the configuration.
> When the agent is restarted (or new config committed), agent would "invent
> indices" and
> this is, in my opinion, the problem (not functionally, agent would still
> function correctly).
> But for SNMP manager monitoring the agent:
> - index change would indicate change in configuration.
> - getnext order could be different
>
> A few examples:
> Lets say target address table has N entries, all using the same set of
> parameters ( = one row in snmpTargetParamsTable).
>
> Changing parameters for all N addresses:
> SNMP - one row changed
> NETCONF- N rows changed
>
> Suspend communication with all N targets:
> SNMP - delete one row in target params table (or set it to notInService),
> target address table preserves all targets

[Note that setting a row to notInService allows the agent to delete
the row after some time.  Suggested time is 5 minutes (RFC 2579).]

> NETCONF- delete whole target list
>
> Regarding proposed solutions
> 1) create "list targetparams" ...
> basically map snmpTargetParamsTable to Yang,
> complication could be solved as in SNMP mib, i.e. instead of leafref (forcing
> each target row to have valid params)
> this could be just a string making "loose" coupling.

The loose coupling that makes the model very flexible, but also a bit
difficult to configure correctly.  I would prefer leafrefs to make a
stricter coupling, but we have already had that discussion.

> 2) replace optional "notify-filter-profile" leaf with mandatory "param-name"
> leaf, ...
> You are right, I overlooked that "list notify-filter-profile" should be updated
> with "param-name" as well
>
> and a new one
>
> 3) add optional "leaf param-name" to "list target" so snmpTargetParamsName
> could be preserved
> If missing, agent would generate appropriate index for snmpTargetParamsTable
>
> I prefer option 1)

Ok.

/martin