Re: [newtrk] a crufty last call

Brian E Carpenter <brc@zurich.ibm.com> Wed, 13 October 2004 09:07 UTC

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 09:43:16 +0200
From: Brian E Carpenter <brc@zurich.ibm.com>
To: scott bradner <sob@harvard.edu>
CC: newtrk@lists.uoregon.edu
Subject: Re: [newtrk] a crufty last call
Sender: owner-newtrk@lists.uoregon.edu

My answer is "yes" but with one qualification: although this
is a separable idea, I don't think we should finalize it
until we have something approaching a consensus on
what we will do to the standards track as a whole.

For example, if we did reduce the standards track to a single
maturity level, the details of the cruft committee's work
would need a little fine tuning.

As to why my answer is "yes", I think this is really a no-brainer.
Having cruft parked on the standards/BCP track is just another
way of confusing the users of IETF documents.

    Brian

.