RE: [NSIS] Draft on NSIS Operation Over IP Tunnels

"Cheng Hong" <Hong.Cheng@sg.panasonic.com> Mon, 01 August 2005 05:59 UTC

Subject: RE: [NSIS] Draft on NSIS Operation Over IP Tunnels
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 13:56:24 +0800
From: Cheng Hong <Hong.Cheng@sg.panasonic.com>
To: Charles Shen <charles@cs.columbia.edu>, Takako Sanda <sanda.takako@jp.panasonic.com>, "Hancock, Robert" <robert.hancock@roke.co.uk>, john.loughney@nokia.com, nsis@ietf.org
Cc: Toyoki Ue <ue.toyoki@jp.panasonic.com>, Qijie Huang <Jack.Huangqj@sg.panasonic.com>
Sender: nsis-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Charles,

> Wouldn't the MRI change every time you have an address change? Does
this draft keep the assumption that MRI and Flow ID are tied togher?

The draft keeps the assumption that MRI and Flow ID are tied together.
The sentence you quoted is trying to state the fact that if the Filter
List is employed, the Flow ID's dependency on the address information
can be relaxed, and it would result in less state management, e.g. new
path discovery. Some points about this was discussed in the mailing list
after last Interim meeting. We should have expanded the text to explain
it.

> Also it seems to me we will have one session with one SESSION ID and
possibly multiple FLOW IDs, then each FLOW ID may have multiple FILTER
SPECS?
> Please correct me if I misunderstood it.

You are correct that there may be multiple Flows within one Session,
according to the definition of Session and Flow in NSIS, e.g. due to
mobility, multihoming, and host decisions. How these Flows relate to
each other is the question addressed in draft
draft-sanda-nsis-path-type-02.txt.  It talks about a logic Path Type
that can be used to correlate certain flows within a Session (instead of
implicitly assuming all the Flows within the Session are bound
together).  In this aspects, it related to the intra-session association
idea in your draft draft-shen-nsis-tunnel-00.txt, although looking at a
separate problem. It is trying to solve those mobility related issues.

Also, within a same flow, there may need several Filter Specs to
accurately reflect the addresses involved. This is the issue address in
the draft-cheng-nsis-flowid-issues-01. Several scenarios/use cases were
described to illustrates the needs for this.

> Indeed, I feel that the FILTER_LIST approach with its ADD action might
serve a similar function as ASSOCIATE_FLOW_SESSION. However, the action
name might
> need to be made more specific. i.e, to indicate whether this is for
NSIS-tunnel handling or for other purposes.

I have the same feeling here. Especially for a aggregated case, the
Filter_List approach may be useful to handle the possible disagreement
between Flow ID and FCI. I agree that to use it for that purpose, some
modifications is necessary. Takako, one of the co-author of the draft,
will attend the IETF meeting this week. So, some face to face discussion
may be able to sort out the details.

cheers

Cheng Hong