RE: [NSIS] Draft on NSIS Operation Over IP Tunnels

"Charles Shen" <charles@cs.columbia.edu> Sun, 31 July 2005 16:31 UTC

From: Charles Shen <charles@cs.columbia.edu>
To: john.loughney@nokia.com, nsis@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [NSIS] Draft on NSIS Operation Over IP Tunnels
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 12:31:46 -0400
Sender: nsis-bounces@ietf.org

Hi John,

Thank you very much.

> As tunneling, like multihoming, can be related to
> mobility, I wonder if the analysis could go into the Mobility
> Applicability Statement document.

Yes some analysis could go to the Mobility Applicability document since
mobility (e.g. Mobile IP) makes use of tunneling. It also seems to be true
that tunneling itself does not need to be tied with mobility. So I am not
sure whether the topic itself deserves a separate document. (Indeed RFC2746
RSVP over IP tunnel is a separate one).

On the other hand, I am not sure whether the scope of the Mobility
Applicability Statement document would cover specific solutions. If the NSIS
operation over tunnel draft describes a specific solution (like RFC2746)
would it still be appropriate to be included in the Mobility Applicability
Statement document?

The current version of the draft is intended to focus on more generic
aspects of NSIS tunneling, without explicit description of mobility. We are
also working on applying this general scheme in the NSIS mobility
environment, which I think is probably a good part of the Mobility
Applicability Statement document.

> After that, for the BOUND_FLOW_SESSION object, do you think
> that this would be a general object for all NSLPs that might
> run over a tunnel?  One option would be to add this to the
> existing NSLPs, or to write a very short document registering
> this as a NSLP object in the NSIS IANA registry (when there is one).

I tend to favor having a general intra-session binding object for all NSLPs.
In fact we might also have the same question for inter-session binding.

Thanks.

Charles