Re: [OAUTH-WG] Call for Adoption - OAuth Proof of Possession Tokens with HTTP Message Signature

Justin Richer <jricher@mit.edu> Fri, 08 October 2021 19:23 UTC

From: Justin Richer <jricher@mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2021 15:23:26 -0400
Cc: "rifaat.s.ietf@gmail.com" <rifaat.s.ietf@gmail.com>, "oauth@ietf.org" <oauth@ietf.org>
To: Mike Jones <Michael.Jones=40microsoft.com@dmarc.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Call for Adoption - OAuth Proof of Possession Tokens with HTTP Message Signature

Hi Mike,

One of the major benefits of this proposed draft is that it does not try to solve the problem of HTTP message signing — which is a huge problem unto itself. When I wrote the original draft-ietf-oauth-signed-http-request, I wasn’t able to write it to depend on a general-purpose HTTP signing spec and so it had to invent a mechanism. OAuth 1 worked on signing just query parameters and lots of things in the front-channel, and so invented its own mechanism.

Now that the HTTP working group is well on the way to standardizing the HTTP Message Signatures draft as a general-purpose RFC, the OAuth working group doesn’t need to solve that problem anymore, and that’s a really, really good thing. We aren’t the right community to get that right, and the two previous failed attempts you point to prove that better than anything. That’s exactly why this draft is NOT going to do that, at all. HTTP Message Signing exists, people are implementing it and using it. It makes sense for the OAuth working group to define a way to use that work in an OAuth context. We are not and should not try again to define a way to sign HTTP messages.

That said, we know that DPoP invents its own way to sign an HTTP message, in a limited fashion. It has clear limitations — it doesn’t sign query parameters (which are likely to be important to many API types), it doesn’t sign headers, it doesn’t sign the body, etc. Even with these limitations, DPoP is useful, and I still argue that instead of trying to extend DPoP with a bunch of other things, we should let it exist as the clean point solution that it is.

This draft is actually significantly simpler than DPoP precisely because it is not defining an HTTP signing mechanism.

 — Justin