Re: [OAUTH-WG] Dynamic Client Registration Conference Call: Thu 22 Aug, 2pm PDT

Phil Hunt <phil.hunt@oracle.com> Tue, 20 August 2013 15:13 UTC

From: Phil Hunt <phil.hunt@oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 08:12:38 -0700
To: "Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <hannes.tschofenig@nsn.com>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Dynamic Client Registration Conference Call: Thu 22 Aug, 2pm PDT

By taxonomy i mean the distinct types of clients and associations.

Eg
- javascript
- native app
- web app
- apps that associate to one endpoint vs those the register with multiple based on events
- perm vs temporary associations

There are probably more.

As Torsten mentions one of the most important factors is first how the server recognizes the client that is registering. It needs to do this to set or associate policy.

What does a service provider gain if it has no information about clients? The downside of issuing random client_ids is little or no policy based access control and resource depletion.

So we have to ask ourselves in each case why register? What is achieved for each side? Client id is a major factor but it is not THE factor.

Phil