Re: [OAUTH-WG] Autonomous clients and resource owners (editorial)

Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com> Sun, 09 May 2010 17:26 UTC

From: Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com>
To: "Foiles, Doug" <Doug_Foiles@intuit.com>, OAuth WG <oauth@ietf.org>
Date: Sun, 09 May 2010 10:26:15 -0700
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Autonomous clients and resource owners (editorial)

How not leaving this up to the server to decide a bad thing? Clearly not all assertions will map directly to the OAuth token and expiration, so the token is already a different trust relationship. The current draft has a SHOULD NOT for refresh token.

> And I am wondering if the assertion flow where the client is acting on behalf
> of a user is on the list of things to be added???

This is a problem with the autonomous grouping, not the flow.

> And I still don't see the corresponding flow in OAuth 2.0 for an OAuth 1.0 - 2
> Legged use case where clients are acting on behalf of a resource owner that
> is not themselves.  Will there be a flow to support this???  I can actually see
> how another type of "end user credentials flow" would work where the
> credential is something different than the username and password.

No. The 1.0 2-legged use-case was really an abuse of the OAuth signature method to make signed requests using a username and password (client credentials) instead of using Basic auth. In OAuth 2.0, you have to go through an additional step: the client first uses its client credentials to get a token (over HTTPS) and it uses that token to make requests (signed or not).

EHL