Re: [ogpx] Protocol for permitting policy decisions

David W Levine <dwl@us.ibm.com> Mon, 05 October 2009 20:32 UTC

To: Infinity Linden <infinity@lindenlab.com>
From: David W Levine <dwl@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 16:33:38 -0400
Cc: ogpx-bounces@ietf.org, "ogpx@ietf.org" <ogpx@ietf.org>, Magnus Zeisig <magnus.zeisig@iis.se>
Subject: Re: [ogpx] Protocol for permitting policy decisions

I want to point out an important related concept for much of this
discussion.

If one's goal is to *know* that someone actually is following a policy one
has, especially a policy with real world implications, the process has to
ground out in provable statements.
In fact, for cases where the policy covers legal liabilities, it has to
ground out in legally meaningful stuff. I studied distributed systems, not
law, so don't take any of this as a legal pronouncement,
but.. If I'm going to trust a third party Agent Domain to tell me
something that has legal consequences, I'm probably going to want that
statement tied down with a digital signature or similar
proof, that links to a real world document.

So.. My personal suspicion is that what we'll see comes much closer to
this:

"In order to have rights beyond "guest" on this region, you, or your agent
domain, on your behalf, needs to have signed the TOS document. I will
demand a digitally signed proof of this, as metadata when you
request acess to my region."

- David
~ Zha

Infinity Linden <infinity@lindenlab.com>
Sent by: ogpx-bounces@ietf.org
10/05/2009 03:39 PM

Magnus Zeisig <magnus.zeisig@iis.se>
cc
"ogpx@ietf.org" <ogpx@ietf.org>
Subject
Re: [ogpx] Protocol for permitting policy decisions

right. this is similar to what i was talking about in one of the
previously mentioned options. i mentioned that the region might need
to call back into the agent domain to get more information about a
particular agent. to me it looks like you're suggesting a two-message
handshake instead of the region turning around and querying the agent
domain.

lemme draw some diagrams:

"name" and "age" are bits of data that, like you might expect, are an
account identifier and the account holder's age. "rez cap" is the
capability used to establish the agent's presence in that region. "age
> X? cap" is a capability granted to the agent domain that's supposed
to be used by the agent domain only if the agent domain agrees that
the account holder is older than X.

option 1: information push

AD ------------ ( name, age ) ---------> RD
AD <------------- (rez cap) ------------ RD

option 2: RD queries the AD

AD --------------- (name) -------------> RD
AD <----- (is name older than X?) ------ RD
AD -------------- (yes/no) ------------> RD

option 3: multi-message handshake

option 3 here is my attempt to model what magnus is talking about, but
with a RESTful capability system.

-cheers
-meadhbh