Re: [OPSAWG] AD Review of draft-ietf-opsawg-smi-datatypes-in-xsd-05.txt

"Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com> Wed, 17 June 2009 11:02 UTC

Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 13:02:21 +0200
From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com>
To: "Natale, Bob" <RNATALE@mitre.org>
Cc: opsawg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] AD Review of draft-ietf-opsawg-smi-datatypes-in-xsd-05.txt

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the quick answer. See a few clarification answers back below.

Please do not issue a revised I-D by now. I believe that this version is
mature enough for last call.

Dan

Yes.

> E1: I examined the idnits warning carefully at the time and
> decided that the answer to its question "Should you add the
> disclaimer?" was no, because it did not seem necessary per
> the terms of the warning.  Do you feel that was the wrong conclusion?

It's OK - I just wanted to make sure you are aware about the warning.

> E2: Reading RFC 5377 gives me a headache, literally, and
> quickly.  By time I got through the end of its Sec. 4.3, it
> seemed to me that it was saying that the IETF Trustees
> "should define" some kind of text to include for XSDs and
> such.  So, I then reviewed the text of
> http://trustee.ietf.org/docs/IETF-Trust-License-Policy.pdf
> (much bigger headache now) and it seems to me that it says
> that the BSD license grant for the XSD "code" is implicitly
> granted by virtue of the "Copyright Notice" in the I-D (RFC)
> -- and that authors would have to do something concrete
> (insert other text) to explicitly apply some other license
> grant (or usage restrictions).  Do you read that policy differently?

 The RFC will need to include the full text of the full BSD license but
exact location and the text to become part of the code is still being
discussed. I suggest no edits by now as the exact text is not yet
approved by the Trustees.

> E8: I don't find the phrase "no comments included" in the
> I-D, so I'm not sure how to respond to this exactly.
> However, perhaps you are misreading (which would be my fault)
> the purpose of the requirements listed in Sec. 3:  They are
> requirements applied to the selection of XSD datatypes in
> this document only.  The output produced (in either
> direction) is intended for consumption at the
> machine-to-machine level.  When brought up to the level of
> human users via management applications, the application may
> do whatever it deems best in terms of XML (or other) output.
> The XSDMI "standard" will have done its job at a lower
> layer...i.e., ensuring that the raw SNMP data (or the SMIv2
> datatype for pure data modeling applications) was represented
> correctly at the protocol level.  Even at the "raw data"
> level, an XML document produced and validated against this
> XSD could definitely include whatever comments the
> application creating the document deemed useful.  Only the
> datatypes and corresponding data values are addressed by this
> I-D (RFC).

'no comments included' are my words for what I was reading in R7. I
understand now and accept your intention.