Re: [OPSAWG] AD Review of draft-ietf-opsawg-smi-datatypes-in-xsd-05.txt

"Natale, Bob" <RNATALE@mitre.org> Wed, 17 June 2009 06:49 UTC

From: "Natale, Bob" <RNATALE@mitre.org>
To: Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de>, David Harrington <ietfdbh@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 02:48:37 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "opsawg@ietf.org" <opsawg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] AD Review of draft-ietf-opsawg-smi-datatypes-in-xsd-05.txt

Hi Juergen,

You were extremely helpful in getting to the correct XSD representation of IpAddress, so I hate to respond critically to your comment below...but I feel I must on two counts:

1. The requirements list for the selection of mappings also says this:
- - - - -
   R4.  The XSD datatype specified for a given SMI datatype MUST
        represent any special encoding rules associated with that SMI
        datatype.

   R5.  The XSD datatype specified for a given SMI datatype MUST include
        any restrictions on values associated with the SMI datatype.
- - - - -
So, the selected mappings for IpAddress and ObjectIdentifier go to "string" to enable the proper restrictions on values in a reasonable way.

2. I believe that tossing "marketing" into the ring is either a red herring or a low blow or both (nothing like getting smacked below the belt with a red herring :).  I personally consider it a worthy engineering goal when doing coding translations to be as faithful (in the sense of fidelity to the original) and direct (in the sense of the minimum necessary "extras" to achieve the true meaning of the original.  It's reasonable to suggest more accurate synonyms, but the objective is engineering quality, regardless.

Man, this is a tough place to complete a simple task. :(

Or, maybe I'm just too sensitive and/or in too much of a rush...after all, what's a couple of years for what should be a straightforward mapping of a few datatypes...?

Cheers,
BobN