Re: [OPSAWG] AD Review of draft-ietf-opsawg-smi-datatypes-in-xsd-05.txt

"Natale, Bob" <RNATALE@mitre.org> Tue, 16 June 2009 18:14 UTC

From: "Natale, Bob" <RNATALE@mitre.org>
To: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 14:14:54 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "opsawg@ietf.org" <opsawg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] AD Review of draft-ietf-opsawg-smi-datatypes-in-xsd-05.txt

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the comments and for moving the IETF process forward.

Concerning your comments:

T1: Yes, that is the intent of the R2: An SMIv1 MIB module must be converted to SMIv2 (insofar as datatypes are concerned) in accordance with RFC 3584 *prior to mapping to XSD as specified in this I-D* (or eventual RFC).  Perhaps I should make that last part explicit in the wording of R2...?

E1: I examined the idnits warning carefully at the time and decided that the answer to its question "Should you add the disclaimer?" was no, because it did not seem necessary per the terms of the warning.  Do you feel that was the wrong conclusion?

E2: Reading RFC 5377 gives me a headache, literally, and quickly.  By time I got through the end of its Sec. 4.3, it seemed to me that it was saying that the IETF Trustees "should define" some kind of text to include for XSDs and such.  So, I then reviewed the text of http://trustee.ietf.org/docs/IETF-Trust-License-Policy.pdf (much bigger headache now) and it seems to me that it says that the BSD license grant for the XSD "code" is implicitly granted by virtue of the "Copyright Notice" in the I-D (RFC) -- and that authors would have to do something concrete (insert other text) to explicitly apply some other license grant (or usage restrictions).  Do you read that policy differently?

E3: Will apply your change.

E4: "attendant improvements" means "expected corresponding improvements from more unified management" (or words to that effect)...the predicate here is that technology that helps to eliminate the need for discrete operations across multiple management layers/technologies to complete a task is likely to also result in overall faster operations and overall fewer errors in operations.

E5: You are probably right.  I will take a look at how to reduce the text w/o loss of anything important.  I am sure that it can be improved in this respect using your specific observations as a guide.

E6: I will use one of your suggested alternatives in place of "fidelity"...the original intent of that word here was something like "the most exact reproduction of the SMIv2 datatype possible with XSD".

E7: "most direct" in R6 means the choice among the W3C defined XSD datatypes that most closely matches the SMIv2 datatype, with only the smallest set of XSD "restriction" required (if any) to provide "fidelity" (word to change) to the SMIv2 datatype.

E8: I don't find the phrase "no comments included" in the I-D, so I'm not sure how to respond to this exactly.  However, perhaps you are misreading (which would be my fault) the purpose of the requirements listed in Sec. 3:  They are requirements applied to the selection of XSD datatypes in this document only.  The output produced (in either direction) is intended for consumption at the machine-to-machine level.  When brought up to the level of human users via management applications, the application may do whatever it deems best in terms of XML (or other) output.  The XSDMI "standard" will have done its job at a lower layer...i.e., ensuring that the raw SNMP data (or the SMIv2 datatype for pure data modeling applications) was represented correctly at the protocol level.  Even at the "raw data" level, an XML document produced and validated against this XSD could definitely include whatever comments the application creating the document deemed useful.  Only the datatypes and corresponding data values are addressed by this I-D (RFC).

E9: Will do.

E10: Will replace "faithful" to a term corresponding with the change to be made per E6.

E11: Will do.

E12: Will do.

Thanks again, Dan, and please let me know if any of the above responses are unacceptable to you or could be further improved.

Cheers,
BobN