Re: getting OID's (fwd)

barns@cove.mitre.org Wed, 09 November 1994 17:10 UTC

Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: barns@cove.mitre.org
To: Jason Cross <jcross01@eng.eds.com>
Cc: barns@cove.mitre.org, osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Subject: Re: getting OID's (fwd)
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 1994 11:15:53 -0500

>In regard to this discussion, I would take from it that an org.
>would go to ANSI to get an official OID for X.500, while using
>iana for SNMP?

I think that's the path of least resistance.  But there are other
possible options.  I frankly don't want to work hard enough to
chase it down, but I think there may be an official oid for your
phone number (characterized as an E.163 address) somewhere under
the CCITT (ITU-T, whatever) branch of the oid tree.  Or, you
can also talk to everyone who has an ICD and see what they'll
agree to.  (This is where the IANA numbers come from.  1.3.6
corresponds to ICD 6 which belongs to the US Department of Defense.
1.3.6.1 was made available to what is now called the IANA by the
DOD person who got the ICD assignment many many years ago.)  The
registry for ICDs is operated on behalf of ISO by BSI so I imagine
you could get a list of ICD assignments from BSI.  Anyway, a little
creativity is not a bad thing, and my experience of defining naming,
addressing, registration authorities etc is that issues are almost
never resolved satisfactorily until someone makes a concrete request
and says "I am sitting here twiddling my thumbs instead of doing
useful work because you turkeys have not come up with an answer to
my problem."  So by all means prod the system, but don't lie, cheat
or steal...

/Bill