Re: people CN

pays@faugeres.inria.fr Thu, 26 November 1992 00:06 UTC

Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1992 00:52:07 +0100
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: pays@faugeres.inria.fr
To: A.Waugh@mel.dit.csiro.au, osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk, wg-nap@rare.nl
Subject: Re: people CN

Andrew,

thanks for your fast comments

your solution is nice,
and I see the advantages for human user
behind a DUA, however my concern is based on the assumption
that 95% of the request will be of name-server query types
(such as looking for my X.400 ORaddress, or prefered MTA,
or any user preference that might influence some
external software behaviour).
thus my preference for any solution which works as often
as possible with a DN as simple as possible (even if
not directly user-friendly).

I need a user to be able to "guess" who it is when
presented a DN, but I need badly any user be able
to give a simple DN for X.400 and have the MHS service
do the queries without any further user intervention.

Another point is that with a DUA like Paradise "de",
as long as there is within the entry one value of the CN
which match the "usual persone name", you would not be
cross (and even hardly notice) that the CN is
	"Paul-Andre Pays 01" and not "Paul-Andre Pays"

Below is an example that (for another purpose) I have submitted
to the INRIA WG

<C=fr;O=inria;OU=Siege;CN="PAYS Paul-Andre 01"> = <
Class= top, person, organizationalPerson, mhs-user, pilotPerson;
Userid= "17777";
OrganizationalStatus= "electron libre";
Phone= "+33 1 39 63 54 58";
Facsimile= "+33 1 39-63-53-30";
ZipCode= 78153;
Postadd= <INRIA>,
        <"Domaine de Voluceau-Rocquencourt">,
        <"78153 Le Chesnay Cedex">;
Secretary= <C=FR;O=inria;OU=Siege;CN="Chantal Girodon">;
RoomNumber= "15-05";
Password= ****;
OU= Siege,
	DMI,
        "Direction de Moyens Informatiques",
        DMIET;
HomePostalAddress= <"94, Avenue Joseph Kessel">,
        <" 78960 Voisins le Bretonneux">;
HomeTelephoneNumber= "+33 1 30-57-95-99";
FavouriteDrink= "Faugeres Raymond Roques";
Rfc822Mailbox= "Paul-Andre.PAYS@faugeres.inria.fr";
TextEncodedORAddress= "/G=Paul-Andre/S=PAYS/OU=faugeres/O=inria/PRMD=inria/ADMD=atlas/C=fr/";
X400= <G="Paul-Andre";S="PAYS";OU1=faugeres/O=inria/P=inria;A=atlas;C=fr>;
S= "PAYS";
CN= "PAYS Paul-Andre 01",
	"Paul-Andre Pays",
        PAP,
        "Paul Pays";
Region= "Ile de France";
Desc= "X.400, X.500 and RENATER blue collar";
Loc= "Rocquencourt"

It will allow any decent DUA to find me just giving
	the "Paul-Andre PAYS" value or even "Paul Pays"
	or even "PAP",
without having to remind that I am the first (and still only)
"Paul-Andre Pays" registered under O=inria;

However I appreciate your arguments for job description
and will push to have it "mandatory" (by INRIA standards
not ISO). Though, I dislike using the description, and  then
would recomment to use OrganizationalRole attribute
for such a purpose.

regards,

-- PAP