RE: [Ospf-wireless-design] Design Team slides for IETF 63

"Henderson, Thomas R" <thomas.r.henderson@boeing.com> Tue, 02 August 2005 18:24 UTC

Subject: RE: [Ospf-wireless-design] Design Team slides for IETF 63
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 11:23:44 -0700
From: "Henderson, Thomas R" <thomas.r.henderson@boeing.com>
To: ospf-wireless-design@ietf.org
Sender: ospf-wireless-design-bounces@lists.ietf.org

I agree that it is premature to say that we have consensus.  We do need
more discussion, though.  Richard has made a lot of points on this list
over the past few months that have largely gone unchallenged.  Does that
mean that people agree with him?

We have to get another approval to release the below to a wider (general
public) distribution, so please do not redistribute the below outside of
the design team at this time.  However, it is now posted for the design
team:

http://hipserver.mct.phantomworks.org/ietf/ospf/

In particular, there is a 100+ page tech report.  I don't expect people
to wade through the whole thing, but please look at the data in chapter
4 and summary in chapter 5, if you only read a portion of it.

> > Richard wrote:
> >
> > Regarding the "Smart Peering" draft by Roy et al. Is the
> plan to allow
> > time for this new idea (which by the way is closely related to my
> > definition of a "routable" neighbor) to be developed into a
> fine tuned
> > implementation?  If this idea can be demonstrated in a
> short time, then
> > it might be worth considering.  But we have already delayed
> the decision
> > by several months, so I think we need to avoid dragging on
> indefinitely.

We have some results on a basic implementation of the Smart Peering
draft-- see Section 4 of our report.

I agree with Phil-- we need to agree first on an overall framework for
this extension (MDR vs. Overlapping Relays)- then, there are additional
design elements that need to be considered such as hello design, 2-hop
neighbor info dissemination, and flooding backups.

Tom