RE: [Ospf-wireless-design] Design Team slides for IETF 63

"Spagnolo, Phillip A" <phillip.a.spagnolo@boeing.com> Tue, 02 August 2005 14:44 UTC

Subject: RE: [Ospf-wireless-design] Design Team slides for IETF 63
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 07:43:41 -0700
From: "Spagnolo, Phillip A" <phillip.a.spagnolo@boeing.com>
To: ospf-wireless-design@ietf.org
Sender: ospf-wireless-design-bounces@lists.ietf.org

All,

I guess it is time to bring up the controversial subjects, so we can
eventually reach consensus. :)

I am of the opinion that the core mechanism of source independent
flooding in the MDR approach is more conducive to reducing the number of
adjacency in the OSPF framework (extension of DRs in a broadcast
network).  (B)MDRs provide a nice backbone which enable proficient
flooding, database synchronization with reduced adjacencies, and a range
of LSA fullness options.  The adjacency reduction distinction is
important because the pure flooding optimizations are about the same
(the data suggests this and I think we all agree).

However, I also see how certain items in each draft are modular and can
be used with either approach (backup relays, diff/increm hellos, 2-hop
neighbor info advertisement, etc.).

Specifically, I don't see a clear winner on how to do backup/pushback
relaying.  The ORs design requires an ack to be received by each
adjacent neighbor for the flooded LSA while the MDRs design requires an
ack or hearing a flood of the LSA to all covered neighbors.  The result
is that ORs have more backup floods while MDRs have more retransmissions
due to the loss of the first flooded LSA.  If the design team would like
to compare these mechanism, I don't see any reason why the pushback
mechanism is precluded from the MDR approach or the backup mechanism is
precluded from the OR approach.

Phil