Re: [OSPF] Re: Stronger Non-IPSec OSPFv2 Authentication

Acee Lindem <acee@redback.com> Wed, 28 March 2007 15:11 UTC

Cc: OSPF List <ospf@ietf.org>
From: Acee Lindem <acee@redback.com>
Subject: Re: [OSPF] Re: Stronger Non-IPSec OSPFv2 Authentication
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 11:10:38 -0400

Speaking as a WG member (so I can state my opinion without having to
be nice :^):

I like this option the best since it allows us to get the stronger
authentication without having to agree on the requirements text.
Since it was presented in Paris, I've never liked the text in draft-
bhatia-manral-crypto-req-ospf-01.txt. While footnotes have been added
to address my concerns, it might be easier not to try and agree on
this at all.

I don't like section 3 since, until you read the footnotes, it
implies NULL and simply authentication MUST NOT be used. Null
authentication is by far the easiest to administer, the most
efficient, and, I'd wagger, the most widely deployed. Simple
authentication can be useful in situations where you simply want to
run two communities of OSPF routers on the same wire. It is also good
for places where you don't want inadvertent participation in the OSPF
routing domain. You many "trust" the people who have access to the
physical networks running OSPF or have sufficient motivation for them
to behave.

With respect to MD5 authentication - this is currently widely
deployed and it will take some time to be replaced. Hence, I think
the whole draft could be replaced by a statement to the effect that
"Users desiring cryptographic authentication may consider using
algorithms x, y, or z due to the vulnerabilities in MD5. ....".

Thanks,
Acee