Re: [OSPF] Re: Stronger Non-IPSec OSPFv2 Authentication

"Vishwas Manral" <vishwas.ietf@gmail.com> Wed, 28 March 2007 16:01 UTC

DKIM-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; b=VAkJrG3EyH1fAGMcCe5IUgBDFZddGzbqLc23d+OUbkknL8bvZDm2WE7qrbt3E7T+zw4TorKtrqRGZTYkplH7kUw6nKYFP449t8le4peAnSReZGPGJH5ITJ4qjgxLRo7tPP7YRoAOi/zuf9EdFoS9N7FWR0auBxj9rM5bKGrNtaw=
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 21:31:17 +0530
From: Vishwas Manral <vishwas.ietf@gmail.com>
To: Acee Lindem <acee@redback.com>
Subject: Re: [OSPF] Re: Stronger Non-IPSec OSPFv2 Authentication
Cc: OSPF List <ospf@ietf.org>

Hi Acee,

Thanks for the comments.

I agree we can get stronger authentication, but its of no use unless
we specify that in case we want security we MUST support the
algorithm. As the number of algorithms increase we need to specify a
minimal set of algorithms that need to be supported, else the
interoperability between implementations that want to support security
is not guarenteed .

Also, as has been pointed out earlier, we have seen in IPsec RFC4305
as well as RFC4305-bis (of which I am the author), as the computing
power increases and security algorithms become vulnerable to new
attacks, we do not have to change RFC's that talk about how to use the
algorithm. The only RFC that changes is the one that specifies the
support levels of various security algorithms.

Though it may sound obvious, the support for NULL algorithm states
that if we need support for Security we should not use the NULL
authentication algorithm.

These were the exact lessons learnt in the past in IPsec. I guess we
should take care not to repeat the mistakes again.

Thanks again,
Vishwas